cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting LPCXpresso

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wrighflyer on Wed Feb 24 07:44:10 MST 2010
I've just received LPCXpresso (1343) and can build/debug/download programs into it. But if I use the red square "Terminate" at the end of debugging (say I just used it solely to download the code and nothing more) the LPCXpresso/LPC-Link remain in a dormant state and the code on the target processor does not run. If on the right hand of the board I connect pin 4 (RST=Reset) to pin 1 (Gnd) then that presumably resets the target CPU but it still doesn't start to run the code that has been downloaded. I'm guessing it is held in reset by the LPC-Link, lefthand side of the board. Looking at the schematic for that it suggests the that the LPC3154 processor has it's own _Reset on pin 3 of J1 and Gnd is on pin 7 of that. But if I connect those two the LPC-Link (and LPC1343 target) STILL don't reset and let the target CPU run the code.

It seems, after using "debug XXXX" to download the code that the only way to get the system to let the target LPC1343 run out of _Reset is to actually unplug the USB cable all together and then plug it back in. At this stage the target code does run.

Can you confirm that there isn't simply a button hidden somewhere in the Code-Red IDE that simply does "reset target CPU"? I'm a bit leary about having to unplug/replug the USB every time simply to get the downloaded software to run (I know I can click the [Run] button in the debugger while that's still active of course)

Cliff Lawson
0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by less on Sat May 17 11:43:39 MST 2014
Do you have any news?

I think you did a very good investigation in this last 3 years and have any way to resolve this problem, don't you?

Regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by piperazine on Sat Feb 05 07:56:44 MST 2011
Hello,

I've just stumbled on to this problem too,

I tried it also with the inbuilt 'Program Flash' binary utility which uploads fine, but like the debugger, an external reset causes the device to 'lock up' and a power cycle is needed.

Also when using the Program Flash utility, if I check 'Erase only required pages' it doesnt reset target on completion and another power cycle is needed? (I do have 'Reset target on completion' ticked)

If I select 'Mass erase' the target does reset after completion but an external reset after this will again cause the device to 'lock up'.

Still.... nice to know its allready being investigated. :)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Feb 01 10:59:45 MST 2011
Sorry - the cause of this issue is still under investigation. We don't yet have a solution other than powering the system down and back up again.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by curtvm on Mon Jan 31 11:40:07 MST 2011
Any update? or have I missed the answer on some other thread ?

I have the same problem.
LPC1114, LPCXpresso v3.6.1 [Build 263]
Debug disconnect behavior set to 'cont'
LPCXpresso debugger board 'split off' from the stock board, connected to my own lpc1114 board

If I terminate the debug session, the lpc app keeps running as expected. I have a reset button that pulls reset pin to gnd, If I try to reset from that button at any time after the disconnect, it will 'lock up' (seems to recognize the reset pin, but the app does not start). The only way to get things back to normal, is if I remove the power from the lpc (debugger remains connected). The reset pin then works as expected.

If I set disconnect behavior to 'run_cont', it also seems to ;lock up'.

Seems like something is happening on the reset, either initiated by me via the rest pin, or by the debugger (run_cont).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Dec 16 05:17:38 MST 2010
We'll investigate....
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by renan on Thu Dec 16 05:07:13 MST 2010
I have this problem too, and I'm using RDB1768. It would be really nice not having to disconnect my two usb's to get a reset.

Renan
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ian Stroud on Thu Dec 16 04:44:52 MST 2010
There is more to this problem with Debugger Disconnection.
Using a LPCxpresso LPC1768 dev board, using tool chain 3.6:
If I download code using the debugger, run the code then terminate the debugger the code remains active (using disconnection mode "cont" or "run_cont").

If I then press a reset button attached to the LPC1768's RESET_N line the device appears to reset but the code does not run. It is almost as if the debugger has left a break point active on the runtime startup code. (I've tried removing the "Stop at main" option from the debugger config but this makes no difference).

Changing the Disconnection Mode from cont to run_cont makes no difference.

If I disconnect and then reconnect USB the target firmware boots properly and I can then reset the device as often as I like.

In short there is some bug in the debugger disconnection process. IF THE DEBUGGER IS DISCONNECTED IT SHOULD NOT THEN STILL INTERFERE WITH THE TARGET'S HARDWARE RESET AND CERTAINLY SHOULDN'T LEAVE ANY BREAKPOINTS ACTIVE.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sun Mar 07 13:56:58 MST 2010
The instructions have been updated to show screenshots.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by martinjm on Sun Mar 07 07:58:54 MST 2010
I'm being very dense here:

- Using the Project Explorer panel, highlight LPCXpresso1343_blinky (i.e the project)

- then what? I don't understand what you mean by  "Use Quickstart/Debug and Run/Edit LPCXpresso1343_blinkyDebug configuration"

TIA, Martin
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Wed Feb 24 10:53:00 MST 2010
Thank you for this tip, CRS.  I have also been unplugging/plugging the USB connector - no more.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Feb 24 08:51:34 MST 2010
No problem.

We've added a note on this to the knowledgebase at:
http://lpcxpresso.code-red-tech.com/LPCXpresso/softwareknowledgebase
"Debugger disconnect behavior"
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wrighflyer on Wed Feb 24 08:44:24 MST 2010
Wow great level of support! Thanks for that answer - run_cont is just what I needed. The annoying thing is that I thought I'd been through every menu/dialog in the IDE before asking this question and I'd even seen that dialog but didn't realize there were more than two "script values" there - wish I'd noticed the scroll bars!

Thanks again for the rapid/full response - it's this kind of thing that makes one choose one silicon over another!

Cliff
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Feb 24 08:34:14 MST 2010
Hi,

You can specify the behavior when the debugger disconnects. We support 4 options:
- no-change - leave the processor exactly as it is (if it was running, leave it running, if it was stopped, leave it stopped)
- stop - stop the processor
- cont - (continue) run the program from the current point
- run_cont - run the program from the start (simulated reset)

You can change these values by:
- Select the project in Project Explorer
- Use Quickstart/Debug and Run/Edit xxx Debug configuration
- Click on xxx (Debug)
- Select the Debugger tab
- change the value of "Disconnect behavior" option to one of the above values.

Hope the helps.
0 Kudos