cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCOpen v2 and LPC11U35

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fjarnjak on Sat Nov 09 01:13:13 MST 2013
Hello all,

6-7 months ago I have used LPC11U35 quick start board from Embedded Artists with LPCOpen v1 to write code with an USB application.

Now, I have another hobby project and saw that LPCOpen v2 library came out; so I have downloaded it along with new LPCXpresso IDE.
However, I can see only examples for LPC11U14 and also there is no more porting guide to make support for a new board - which is something v1 had so I followed it and made it work.

What is the procedure in how to add relevant files for the v2 version and to make new board support package?
I can see things changed so I am not sure why was this important document/guide dropped.

So how to make LPCOpen v2 work?
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fjarnjak on Thu Nov 21 00:17:44 MST 2013
Thanks for pointing out the thread.

I will use it to try and configure/build my LPCOpen v2.

However it also re-confirms my point: files are missing in the official release, documentation not valid and so on.

Current LPCOpen is not at a professional level but more some guy made it for his board while doing his project, and then you can use it if you feel like it. I know NXP is a primarily hardware manufacturer and software is something that just needs to be done at the end so quality is not so high. But when you do release something then it would be better if they make sure it works and people can use it. Look at mbed source code....then look at LPCOpen. Code quality and abstractions are a world apart (mbed being clearly the winner).

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Wed Nov 20 09:01:03 MST 2013
This was posted last night, and may help you:
http://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/lpcopen-what-am-i-missing#comment-1133653
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fjarnjak on Wed Nov 20 07:05:37 MST 2013
Bump:

So no reply from NXP about their vision on using LPCOpen v2 on the new boards and not the ones they prepare the source code for?

As a side-note I simply do not understand the vision of NXP regarding this. 2-3 years ago you got code samples which were very simple files .c and .h files you would either compile as a library or include in your project. And most of those code samples were for specific MCU family (11xx, 17xx and so on). Then you got NXPUsblib which you would configure and it would work for demo boards or your own boards.

Then NXP created LPCOpen library where they wanted to unify the drivers and USB lib and FreeRTOS and some other useful libs into one library developers would use. Then they have released it but they didn't think of how to use it on custom boards. Then in 1.03 version they finally made the porting guide and a vast number of directories you need to add to your project so it compiles and runs.

Now you have a new "simple" v2 library where you don't have porting guide anymore, support for making custom boards dropped and you get LPC11U14 board as a compiled library.

So if I want to use LPC11U35 I am can't use it anymore, since there is no source to compile using LPCXpresso.

Is there a software architect at NXP that has a clear vision into making the library to guide the developer's team for their embedded systems and not releasing half-products and changes every few months? But instead working incrementally with clear source.

Not to mention that text documents accompanying the archives and tutorials/guides often have errors and things do not work as written.

I am personally a software developer but I dislike opening new versions of the same thing and studying the source all the time from the beginning to make sure it can compile where I want to flash an LED.

0 Kudos