cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lpc1768 uart

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Thu Aug 19 16:02:33 MST 2010
I am trying to run a sample program called "uart"

after compiling, it displays this message
"
Project Details:
The Base Board's USB-to-Serial adapter is tied to UART3 on
the LPC1700.

Build Options:
None"

I don't get any output out of the base board back to windows7 terminal over usb or anything out of the lpc1768 txd3 pin. I don't understand how the signal is supposed to get from the target board to the base board or why neither way works??

So it doesn't work but I can stop and step it so it must be a simple problem.

:confused:
regards
0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Wed Oct 27 05:54:51 MST 2010
Works here.

[LIST]
[*] Start a debug session
[*] In the peripheral view, check the PCB peripheral
[*]In the memory view, the PCB peripheral is displayed with all its registers
[*]Right-click on the window that list registers and Show ChipView is the last item in the context menu.
[/LIST]
See screenshot
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by akash on Wed Oct 27 02:00:59 MST 2010

Quote: CodeRedSupport

To see your pin mappings, we have developed a feature that is current in beta form in this release of LPCXpresso. To try out this feature (which is currently only available on the LPC1768):
- open the PCB peripheral
- in the PCB rendering, right click and choose Show ChipView->Here

I'm using the latest Ubuntu beta version of the LPCXpresso IDE (Version: LPCXPresso 3.7.4_Beta [Build 97] [19/10/2010] ) running Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) with the LPC1768 based LPCXpresso and I'm not able to find this feature. Am I missing something here?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Sat Aug 21 12:15:22 MST 2010
I see it now. I had dropped out of the debug mode. Now that I have it displayed, I want to say what a great thing it is. In my 35years of computer development, I want to nominate this as the "greatest feature ever implemented".
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Sat Aug 21 11:42:17 MST 2010
For us new users, could you please tell me what "- open the PCB peripheral" means. When I click on the top left area "Peripherals" tab, I just get a blank box with Devices and Address column labels. Its  Version: LPCXpresso v3.4.6 [Build 199] [11/08/2010]

It sounds like what I need.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by anomaly256 on Sat Aug 21 05:34:26 MST 2010

Quote: Zero
My feedback: don't waste time with asking, add more MCU's and even more important: add a description to getting.started.

I agree, this is pretty helpful.  Wish I knew about this sooner!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Aug 20 14:07:08 MST 2010
You're asking if that's useful ? You're kidding :)
With ChipView I can compare my EAGLE schematic with the actual software functions. With all this PINSEL registers and Pin functions it's so easy to mix up something and spend hours with searching.
My feedback: don't waste time with asking, add more MCU's and even more important: add a description to getting.started.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Aug 20 12:20:45 MST 2010
To see your pin mappings, we have developed a feature that is current in beta form in this release of LPCXpresso. To try out this feature (which is currently only available on the LPC1768):
- open the PCB peripheral
- in the PCB rendering, right click and choose Show ChipView->Here

This will show a representation of the chip, with the current pin assignments. You will need to maximize the window to see the whole chip.

As I said, this is still a beta feature, and so we would like to receive feedback on its usefulness.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Aug 20 12:10:03 MST 2010
As mentioned earlier, PINSEL registers are used to connect functions (like UART) to different Pins. Looking for this registers in (your) software could save a lot of time.:)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Fri Aug 20 11:04:25 MST 2010
ok I got uart3 to txmit on pin 6-9 but when I try to txmit on uart1, the data comes out of p2.0 which is j6-42 and not on j6-13 which is marked on the schematic as txd1. Either pin can be txd1 and I just assumed the lpcxpresso sample program pin control would be set to the lpcxpresso schematic label.

thanks for your help with the pcon reg location.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Aug 20 07:44:09 MST 2010
PCON and PCONP are part of the SYSCTL peripheral. They are about 2/3 of the way through the SYSCTL peripheral display
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Fri Aug 20 07:29:48 MST 2010
I am just using the lpcxpresso 1768 board and a scope. I scoped all 4 uart pins and no output. I tried to look at registers but spent an hour looking for the pcon and pconp but could not find them anywhere on the ide. Were they left out?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Thu Aug 19 18:48:40 MST 2010
Don't know which hardware you are using, but obviously this "Base Board" of your software sample has its own Serial to USB Adapter.
If your sample is really sending something via UART3, you should be able to scope this.
PINSEL settings of your sample could help you to determinate which Pins are used for UART3: Pin 6/7, Pin 46/47 or Pin 82/85.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mayotte1 on Thu Aug 19 16:39:27 MST 2010
I was just looking around the internet and realized by "base board" you must not be referring to the  half of the lpcxpresso that isnt the target. Still the program should output something on txd3's pin. I do get the printf to work on the console but that isn't what I need to do.
0 Kudos