Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot debug when connecting LPCxpresso 1343 to EA Base Board

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 03:27:51 MST 2014
I have Red Suite NXP Edition 256k that I'm trying to upgrade to LPCOpen  2.05.

When I use Red Suit I have no problem to debug when my LPC1343 is connecrted to EA Base Board, but in LPCXpresso the debugger is hanging when trying to connect to the target.
When I remove the LPCXpreso LPC1343 board from AE's Base Board the debugging works fine.

i have connected both the LPCExpresso board and the Base Board to a powerd USB-hub.
I have tried to remove the 3.3V connection between the LPCExpresso board and the Base Board, since all I have fond points at there is not enought power, but it didn't help.

Any sugestions?

It would be nice to be able to upgrade since there is no support for the LPC1347 in Red Suit, and I would like to keep the development platform up to date.

Regards
--Per Eklund
0 Kudos
11 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 13:02:09 MST 2014
After some try and error I have found the problem.
I tested to connect a couple of pins at the time to the Base Board and found out that it did hang when I connected PIO0_1.
There is a jumper J13 to connect the CAN tranciever to a LPC1769 module that I used last time I used the Base Board. When I moved it to BL_EN insted the hanging stopped.
Silly misstake ( as most mistakes) but it was very confusing that it worked with Code Red but not LPCXpresso.

Case closed and lesson learnd!
Now I can start to testmigrate to LPCOpen :-)

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 27 12:47:33 MST 2014
This certainly sounds like a power problem.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 12:23:33 MST 2014
It hangs Before it comes to ResetISR.
I have changed the start Point for debug and first time after Red Suite or standalone it stops in ResetISR, But with the Bas Board it hangs before entering ResetISR and the Pause button is disabled.
Launching still says (94%).

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 27 12:05:00 MST 2014
I would guess that you are taking an exception in the startup code before you hit main. To confirm this, when it hangs, try pressing the Pause button to halt execution. Then tell us where it has stopped.  You can debug the startup code to change the initial breakpoint to ResetISR. See
http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/launch-configuration-menu
For more info.

Btw. Do not create a debug config with red suite 3.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 11:55:31 MST 2014
Now I have fond out when the debugging works with the Base Board and LPCXpresso v6.1.4.
1. I start a debug in Red Suite.
2. Close Red Suite and start LPCXpresso v6.1.4
3. Start a debug here and it works until I press pause or stop the debugging.
4. After that I have to go back to Red Suite and make a new debug befor I can do a one time debug in LPCXpresso.

Any clu any one???

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 11:31:20 MST 2014
Version of Red Suite:

Red Suite 3 (NXP Edition):
Version: Red Suite 3 (NXP Edition) v3.6.1 [Build 109] [05/01/2011]

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 11:28:16 MST 2014
Hi again,

By hanging I mean that nothing happens after the Flash was written
At the bottom of the screen it say "Launching periph_timer:(94:%)"

This is the debug log:
LPCXpresso Debug Driver v6.0 (Dec 30 2013 11:03:03 - crt_emu_lpc11_13_nxp build 1222)
Looked for chip XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_6.1.4_194/lpcxpresso/bin/LPC1343.xml
Looked for vendor directory XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_6.1.4_194/lpcxpresso/bin/nxp_directory.xml
Found generic directory XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_6.1.4_194/lpcxpresso/bin/crt_directory.xml
Emu(0): Conn&Reset. DpID: 2BA01477. Info: HID64HS12
SWD Frequency: 3000 KHz. RTCK: False. Vector catch: False.
Packet delay: 0  Poll delay: 0.
Loaded LPC11_12_13_32K_8K.cfx: LPC11_12_13 (32K Flash, min 8K RAM) Apr 22 2013 12:14:02  On-chip Flash Memory
NXP: LPC1343  Part ID: 0x00000000
Connected: was_reset=false. was_stopped=false
v LPCXpresso Free License - Download limit is 256K
Writing 5244 bytes to 0000 in Flash (assumed clock: 12.0MHz)
Erased/Wrote page  0-1 with 5244 bytes in 1251msec
Flash write Done

It actually worked the first time tonight but when I try again it doesn't work.

When i run debuging without the Base Board i have the same log but therer are two more lines and the breakpoint:

nSRST assert (if available)
Executing in user flash.

Stopped: Breakpoint #1

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 06:29:47 MST 2014
Thank you for your quick reply!

I was testing with a new example project so there was no migration involved. I will have a deeper look at that link so thank you for that.
I will have a look at the debug-log tonight.
The version is quite old. I don't have the version # now but it was bought in January 2011.

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 27 05:32:31 MST 2014
Please tell us what you mean by "debugger is hanging". What messages are being displayed? Any errors being reported? Please take a look at the Debug Log and post what is being reported:
http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/debug-log

BTW: Which version of Red Suite are you upgrading from? LPC1347 support was added to Red Suite a very long time ago... You might find this Code Red FAQ helpful on Migrating to newer version of Red Suite - this FAQ applies migrating to LPCXpresso too:
[list]
  [*]http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/MigratingToNewVersion
[/list]
especially the section on "Recreate launch configurations"
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perra_e on Mon Jan 27 03:44:58 MST 2014
You are correct. I mean the LPCXepresso 6. I mixed it up since I downloaded it from this link http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/lpcopen-software-development-platform-lpc13xx-packages

Regading the power I'm 100% positive that I connect the Base Board.
I always connect the USB connector for main power (and debugging UART) first and the bord cams to live.
After that I connect the USB (power) to the LPC1343.

--Per
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Mon Jan 27 03:33:29 MST 2014
My guess is that you are not powering the baseboard, despite what you said. The baseboard MUST be powered independently - you can't power the LPCXpresso board AND the baseboard through the LPC3154 on the LPC-Link.

btw: How can you upgrade an IDE (Red Suite NXP Edition) to a library (LPCOpen)? I assume you are trying to upgrade to LPCXpresso 6?
0 Kudos