LPC-Link 2 is not recognized by LPCXpresso on Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu 14.04)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC-Link 2 is not recognized by LPCXpresso on Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu 14.04)

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by broth on Wed Sep 16 23:16:01 MST 2015
Hello!
I purchased a new LPCxpresso V2 OM13058 Board with an LPC11U68 controller.
When I plug it into my development machine (Linux Mint 13 = Ubuntu 14.04), LPCXpresso IDE 7.9.2 does not recognize the device and it shows "CMSIS-DAP not found" and "No compatible emulator found".
Anyhow the debug probe is enumerated successfully:

Quote:
[ 3098.719617] usb 1-6: USB disconnect, device number 42
[ 3098.989882] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 43 using ehci-pci
[ 3099.122997] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=1fc9, idProduct=0090
[ 3099.123002] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3099.123006] usb 1-6: Product: LPC-Link-II CMSIS-DAP
[ 3099.123009] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: NXP
[ 3099.123011] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: A000000001
[ 3099.124800] hid-generic 0003:1FC9:0090.0034: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [NXP LPC-Link-II CMSIS-DAP] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-6/input0
[ 3099.125030] cdc_acm 1-6:1.1: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 3099.125103] cdc_acm 1-6:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 3099.126930] hid-generic 0003:1FC9:0090.0035: hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [NXP LPC-Link-II CMSIS-DAP] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-6/input3

In the process of searching the problem I did already:

- Verified that my user is in group "plugdev" and udev rules have GROUP="plugdev" attached
- Rebooted the machine several times
- Setting the LPC-Link2 in DFU mode does cause LPCXpresso to load the firmware bit is then still unable to find the probe
- The properties of LPCXpresso have "CMSIS-DAP" Firmware selected
- No change if booting the device on the command line "boot_link2"
- Another LPC-Link1 board works just fine!
- In "Launch configuration" -> "Debugger" -> "Emulator selection" is set to "CMSIS-DAP"
- Same tests with RedLink firmware and "no bridge" firmware -> no success
- Finally I try to run an example project from the latest LPCopen2 zip file for my board

What can be wrong? Please help

Best regards,

Bernhard
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Sep 18 01:55:08 MST 2015
Before we dig any further on this, can you just confirm that you have followed in the full the Linux installation instructions from the LPCXpresso User Guide and:

[list]
  [*]https://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/linux-installation
[/list]

?

Can you also confirm the exact Mint variant you have installed, and some details of your machine you are running on.

I would also suggest that you try removing all other USB devices that you can from your computer before trying to boot and connect to your LPC-Link2, just to try to reduce the chances of this been some form of hardware clash.

I also presume that you have tried using a different USB port? [https://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/booting-lpc-link2]

Also do remember that although Linux Mint is "related" to Ubuntu, it is not a supported distribution for LPCXpresso (though we have seen it running on Mint in the past).

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by broth on Thu Sep 17 21:43:05 MST 2015
Here are the logs:

Build console

Quote:
06:32:01 **** Build of configuration Debug for project demos_switch_blinky ****
make -r -j12 all
Building target: demos_switch_blinky.axf
Invoking: MCU Linker
arm-none-eabi-gcc -nostdlib -L"/home/broth/LPCXpresso/workspace/lpc_chip_11u6x/Debug" -L"/home/broth/LPCXpresso/workspace/lpc_board_nxp_lpcxpresso_11u68/Debug" -Xlinker -Map="demos_switch_blinky.map" -Xlinker --gc-sections -Xlinker --allow-multiple-definition -mcpu=cortex-m0 -mthumb -T "demos_switch_blinky_Debug.ld" -o "demos_switch_blinky.axf"  ./example/src/aeabi_romdiv_patch.o ./example/src/cr_startup_lpc11u6x.o ./example/src/crp.o ./example/src/mtb.o ./example/src/switch_blinky.o ./example/src/sysinit.o   -llpc_board_nxp_lpcxpresso_11u68 -llpc_chip_11u6x
Finished building target: demos_switch_blinky.axf

make --no-print-directory post-build
Performing post-build steps
arm-none-eabi-size "demos_switch_blinky.axf"; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary "demos_switch_blinky.axf" "demos_switch_blinky.bin" ; checksum -p LPC11U68 -d "demos_switch_blinky.bin";
   text   data    bss    dec    hexfilename
   6932      0    612   7544   1d78demos_switch_blinky.axf

06:32:01 Build Finished (took 57ms)

Redlink server

Quote:
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]
[Started server]
[Closed]

gdb traces is empty

(terminated) gdb traces:

Quote:
625,127 2-target-disconnect
625,127 3-gdb-exit
625,127 2^error,msg="You can't do that when your target is `None'"
625,128 (gdb)
625,128 3^exit

(this seems strange)

arm-none-eabi-gdb log is empty

I tried all different ways to start a debug session, all yield in the same result: no lpcxpresso v2 board found.
What I find very strange is that the DFU device can be found, flash image is programmed and then afterwards it seems to disappear.

I deleted my workspace directory and tried to configure all again - no success.

I am working now with the J-Link firmware on the device which works like a charm (but not in LPCXpressso IDE)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Sep 17 08:23:45 MST 2015
> - Are the log files from lpcxpresso saved somewhere on the harddisk?
> If yes, where? The console window in the software does not show any error messages

I don't think so.  Select the dropdown that appears to the right of the icon that looks like a monitor in the Console panel.  Select the required output and cut and paste it.

> - In my workspace I cannot find any .launch files

This is not normal.

> - The messages appear when I start a debugging session (Bug icon in the bar)

Unless you are careful it is possible that you will be using debug parameters relevant to some previous use you have made of LPCXpresso.  (Firstly, don't forget to use the dropdown next to this icon to select your project, if you haven't; .. but more importantly ...)

I'm afraid that the quick link shortcuts are not simply a replacement for functionality found elsewhere.  The "Debug '<app>' [<build config>]" link is intended to be used.  It should create launch configurations for each of the build configurations you have for the named project.  They will appear as separate files in your project.

Let us know whether starting the debug session this way makes a difference.

Sincerely

LPCXpresso-support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by broth on Thu Sep 17 07:13:14 MST 2015
Thanks for your quick reply.
Let me answer your questions:

- I have a 64 bit system, Linux Mint is mostly based on Ubuntu 14.04
- Installation instruction have been followed to install on my system (ia32libs etc... all packages listed are installed)
- lsusb shows first
Quote:
Bus 001 Device 055: ID 1fc9:000c NXP Semiconductors

, then after booting the probe
Quote:
Bus 001 Device 056: ID 1fc9:0090 NXP Semiconductors

so this should be fine
- As a matter of course the other Link1 device is detached always while doing these tests
- In my workspace I cannot find any .launch files
- Are the log files from lpcxpresso saved somewhere on the harddisk? If yes, where? The console window in the software does not show any error messages
- I attached some screenshots with lsusb and the "Connect to emulator" window to visualize the problem
- The messages appear when I start a debugging session (Bug icon in the bar)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Sep 17 04:40:27 MST 2015
Hi

First of all, just to give you confidence, we do, very regularly, test an LPC11U68 board on our own Linux Ubuntu 14.04 kit and it does normally work.  I've just tried it manually too, with no problem.

As you know we don't test or support Linux Mint directly, but it seems reasonable to expect it to work if Ubuntu 14.04 does.  The most frequent problems reported in this area are those to do with providing 32-bit libraries on 64-bit systems.  Is yours a 32-bit or a 64-bit system?  Have you checked the guidelines for installing under Linux contained in the LPCXpresso User Guide (available via your browser through Help).

The message you mention about "CMIS-DAP not found" is one that the IDE produces only when the a launch configuration has been established with a CMIS-DAP, otherwise it would report "No compatible emulators enabled" every time.  Have you once had a successful CMIS-DAP debug connection?  Or are these message appearing somewhere else (other than in the window that appears shortly after requesting to debug your project)?

I suggest that you delete the .launch files in your project to remove any previous setup information.  (You can do this from the project explorer.)

There are a few logs available in the 'Console' panel.  Do you think you could select those with names incorporating
* redlink server
* gdb traces
* arm-none-eabi-gdb
and include them in this thread.

Also, you have found that you can boot the debug probe OK with boot_link2, so do you think you could
* disconnect the LPC11U68
* wait a short while
* connect the LPC11U68
* run 'lsusb' and send us the output
* boot the debug probe
* run 'lsusb' and send us the output again

We're expecting an entry like

Bus 001 Device 012: ID 1fc9:000c NXP Semiconductors

to be in the first lsusb.  And one like

Bus 001 Device 014: ID 1fc9:0090 NXP Semiconductors

to be in the second.

You mention that you have been successful in booting a Link1-attached device.  Is this (and any other boards you may have) disconnected at the time when you have your failure?  (It's best if they are.)

Sincerely,

LPCXpresso-Support
0 Kudos