Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peripheral Library for LPC1xxx?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Sat Oct 01 09:34:33 MST 2011
Does NXP provide something similar to the excellent STM32F10x Standard Peripheral Library for the LPC Cortex-M devices?
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by halhertani on Mon Oct 10 13:05:50 MST 2011
Agreed NXP has been delaying their cortex m4 cores for sometime now and will probably end up losing some market share initially. But I really like the idea of fitting and M0 in there with the M4. That is quite a unique design that offers more flexibility than a single cortex-m4.  I will gladly wait for the Cortex-m4 LPCXpresso !

One other weakness that NXP needs to address is the fact that their offering can sometimes be limited i.e. the LPC13xx and LPC11xx families have no members with more than 32KB Flash! An NXP FAE mentioned to me that the LPC13xx family will get a 64KB flash /10K RAM member  and the LPC11xx family will get 128KB flash/10K RAM members with USB  by the end of the year. If that is the case then I will be very happy!!!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by igorsk on Mon Oct 10 04:51:05 MST 2011

Quote: vasanth
LPCXpresso is the best embedded toolchain in the world. :D

LPC1100 and LPC1300 are the best low cost 32 bit MCU's in the world. :p

I saw a video in which an NxP guy tells to the audience that future lpcxpresso for M4 will be available with trace facility. ;)

How about that?

Unfortunately, it seems that NXP bit off a bit more than it can chew with the ambitious dual-core M4s. Despite showing the first working M4 silicon, the 43xx are still in development, while Freescale, ST and TI all have M4 chips in production.

I think they still have a chance to catch up if they get their act together but it won't be as easy.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Sun Oct 09 12:05:25 MST 2011
LPCXpresso is the best embedded toolchain in the world. :D

LPC1100 and LPC1300 are the best low cost 32 bit MCU's in the world. :p

I saw a video in which an NxP guy tells to the audience that future lpcxpresso for M4 will be available with trace facility. ;)

How about that?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Luis Digital on Sun Oct 09 08:02:43 MST 2011

Quote: halhertani
Finally the STM32 VLDiscovery kit, is nowhere near as user friendly as LPCXpresso kits. Sure they're cheaper but the Atollic Studio lite is nowhere near as easy to use and practical as the LPCXpresso tool. Not to mention the lack of support for linux.......

The STM32 family of micros are decent Cortex-m3 devices with an impressive set of peripherals. But the support that comes with the family I find is lacking.

Just the opinion of a curious person who has played with both STM32 and NXP devices

Although LPCXpresso and Atollic Studio are based on Eclipse, Atollic Studio worse, at least the free version. In addition, each time interrupting the user with advertising messages.

I was making only an evaluation before purchase 100 chips, but decided not to buy even one.

Worst of all is that no IDE for Linux, even CoIDE which is completely free.

How great would that NXP have prices similar to those in ST, would be the bomb.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by halhertani on Sun Oct 09 00:50:19 MST 2011
No but then again NXP doesn't need to. As a person who has used both NXP and STM32 families, I can say that the NXP devices ( especially the LPC11xx and LPC13xx) are much easier to use than the equivalent STM32 Value line devices.

Besides the STM32 peripheral library is not properly documented..crappy .chm file that lists functions and parameters but does not explain how to use them. What is the point of creating a library if it is not documented properly?

The STM32 manuals are much harder to read and not as well put as the LPC1XXX manuals. LPC1XXX manuals are not perfect but I found them easier to read and understand than the STM32 manuals

Finally the STM32 VLDiscovery kit, is nowhere near as user friendly as LPCXpresso kits. Sure they're cheaper but the Atollic Studio lite is nowhere near as easy to use and practical as the LPCXpresso tool. Not to mention the lack of support for linux.......

The STM32 family of micros are decent Cortex-m3 devices with an impressive set of peripherals. But the support that comes with the family I find is lacking.

Just the opinion of a curious person who has played with both STM32 and NXP devices
0 Kudos