cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cortex-M0 vs ARM7TDMI

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by halhertani on Wed Oct 12 08:14:48 MST 2011
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how the Cortex-M0 cores stacks up to the ARM7TDMI core performance wise. I realize that the Cortex-M0 is much more power efficient and via the Dhrystone Benchmark it beats the ARM7TDMI (Cortex-M0: 0.9DMIPS/MHz vs ARM7TDMI: 0.7DMIPS/MHz) but I have not seen any coremark benchmarking for the ARM7TDMI.

Since the ARM7 core runs powerful 32-bit ARM instructions as well as 16-bit thumb instructions, I'd imagine that the performance coremark benchmark for the ARM7 would be higher than that of the corex-M0, even if it comes at the cost of code density.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by igorsk on Wed Nov 02 09:40:05 MST 2011
I am currently in posession of all three mbed revisions - first beta LPC2368 (ARM7TDMI), "mailine" LPC1768 (Cortex-M3) and the upcoming LPC11U24 (Cortex-M0).

I am planning to run some tests to compare how M0 stacks up against ARM7. I will look into CoreMark, but maybe someone has other suggestions?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by halhertani on Tue Nov 01 17:48:37 MST 2011
Thanks guys for all the info.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fjrg76 on Fri Oct 21 22:57:37 MST 2011
Hi

Look at this link, it's more than excellent, and you not only will understand the differences between ARM7TDMI and Cortex, but also to learn a lot this new family:

http://dev.frozeneskimo.com/notes/getting_started_with_cortex_m3_cmsis_and_gnu_tools

(Go to the "Why I like Cortex M3" section.)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Wed Oct 19 11:33:55 MST 2011
I think this would clarify the matter a bit more.:)

http://www.eetimes.com/design/embedded/4229815/Basics-of-porting-C-code-to-and-between-ARM-CPUs--ARM...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Mon Oct 17 23:43:12 MST 2011
Not really surprising - it was designed >10 years after ARM7TDMI and released as a new product by ARM. I can't see how they would have sold any if it was worse than a 10 year old product...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by halhertani on Mon Oct 17 15:45:18 MST 2011
Thanks for the clarification and the link Vasanth. It seems that the Cortex-M0 has better performance than the ARM7TDMI architecture!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Sat Oct 15 10:24:54 MST 2011

Quote:
ARM7 core runs powerful 32-bit ARM instructions as well as 16-bit thumb instructions

ARM7 has two instruction set in single processor. so we must have two benchmarks. So it is. It is rated 0.7DMIPS/MHz in 16-bit Thumb mode and 0.9DMIPS/MHz in 32-bit ARM mode.

When it comes to microcontrollers, CoreMark score is for the entire chip (RAM, FLASH performance etc...). So it doesn't represent the real core mark.
As a core, cortex-m0 is equal in performance to an ARM7 but has several other vital enhanced features.

you can open this link in new tab to see ARM7 upgrade options and cortex-m benefits.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm7/index.php
0 Kudos