Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1343 QuickStart USB connectivity problem

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bitli on Sun Oct 16 12:33:09 MST 2011
I cannot get an LPC 1343 QuickStart board (from Embedded Artists) to connect as an HID device to Windows.  I have reduced the program to a simple test that work well with the LCPXpresso board (equipped with a SoftConnect addition) but results in an Unrecognized Device on the quick start board (programmed via a 'cut' LCPXpresso LPC Link. The QuickStart is powered by the USB (as it does not receive the power from the LPC Link).
I have tried the following variations:
[LIST]
[*]Replaced the USB cable
[*]Windows XP and Vista (same result)
[*]Added a wait of 2 seconds before asserting USB SoftConnect after reset. (The green led for soft connect is turned on when expected).
[*]Tried a second board.
[*]Tried with another VendorId/ProductId than the 'Nxp demo' one.
[/LIST]
The program behave as expected when run on the LpxExpresso 1343 board (it connects and is recongized as an HID device and data can be exchanged).

I ran out of idea of things to try. Any clue ?

-- bitli
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by andersrosvall on Thu Mar 22 04:06:26 MST 2012
This is an update on the issue.
The problem has been traced back to a specific production batch of our LPC1343 QuickStart boards. There are exposed pads under the mini-B USB connector. On a few boards the metal shield of the mini-B USB connector can get contact with these pads. Typically when a (slightly big) connector is inserted.
All boards in distributor stock has been pulled back and fixed (only a very few number of boards were actually affected by this). Boards ordered after January 2012 are not affected. If you have a board with problems, please contact Embedded Artists support.

Kind Regards,
Anders Rosvall
Embedded Artists AB
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bitli on Tue Oct 25 12:28:33 MST 2011
In fact I have explored many other ways and got a lot of very helpful support from EA, including a board exchange.
Unfortunately so far without success (replacing board, OS, computer,  cable, ... does not seem to have an impact, USB just don't work here).
Still exploring
-- bitli
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Tsuneo on Tue Oct 18 21:07:54 MST 2011
[I]> The original QucikStart HID example program was downloaded to the quick start board, and resulted in the same error (USB device not recognized).[/I]

As an EA's example doesn't run on the EA's board, contact to EA support on this issue. It may be a FAQ for them :-)
You may need some another spells, like erase entire FLASH to kill CRP. Does the QucikStart manual refer to anything?

Tsuneo
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bitli on Tue Oct 18 10:28:40 MST 2011
I continued investigations.
The original QucikStart HID example program was downloaded to the quick start board, and resulted in the same error (USB device not recognized). Also in case of 'Reset+Boot' I have the same error.
Additionaly I tried with the USB HID example program on a 'fresh' PC to see if maybe it the USB driver was misconfigured on the previous ones. But the same error occurs (tried with two boards and two cables).
-- bitli
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bitli on Mon Oct 17 09:14:04 MST 2011
I have the schematic.  The Soft connect is very simple and uses a transistor to drive the resistor on the DP line. I reproduced the same function on the LPCXpresso and it works fine.

The board it is powered by the USB line (which is connected to the VBUS, something I also reproduced on the LPCXpresso). It has a reset circuit and a separate button to assert the PIO0_1 (boot enable), this is the only difference I see (except the connection to the EEProm).

The program startd normally (it toggles some outputs and can see the signal).  The error message come only when the PIO0_s (soft connect) is asserted, as seen with the green led.  However maybe the boot code is doing something wrong.

My programs were started from the LCPEXpresso samples (there is no ROM driver HID example with the programs of the QuickStart).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Tsuneo on Sun Oct 16 14:08:29 MST 2011
Hi bitli,

Run one of USB examples, first, which come with the QuickStart board. It confirms hardware integrity of the board around the USB circuit.

Unfortunately, EA doesn't open the schematic of this board on their web. So, I can't point out the cause exactly. But I suppose your trouble would be caused by the difference of the extra port pin for D+ pull-up enable (SoftConnect).

Crystal frequency is the same, 12MHz, on both boards. It's fine.

Tsuneo
0 Kudos