Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP! Can we use CMSIS drivers?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by inma on Tue Oct 25 15:10:02 MST 2011
This is from the header of the CMSIS driver files (for example lpc17xx_uart.h)

00009  * Software that is described herein is for illustrative purposes only
00010  * which provides customers with programming information regarding the
00011  * products. This software is supplied "AS IS" without any warranties.
00012  * NXP Semiconductors assumes no responsibility or liability for the
00013  * use of the software, conveys no license or title under any patent,
00014  * copyright, or mask work right to the product. NXP Semiconductors
00015  * reserves the right to make changes in the software without
00016  * notification. NXP Semiconductors also make no representation or
00017  * warranty that such application will be suitable for the specified
00018  * use without further testing or modification.
00019  **************************************************************************/
I think it would be nice to clear what this means.
Can I use these codes in my business for internally used appliance?
Can I use these codes in commercial products?
For one part, it saves a lot of typing, and with initializaton types and config types I quite like these codes, and if I can use these I won't develop code that is not as beautiful CMSIS drivers. I know that I have to test and debug these codes as well.

I get the part about NXP not taking responsibility, that is totally understandable. But what about this sentence?

Quote:
NXP Semiconductors [...] conveys no license or title under any patent, copyright, or mask work right to the product.

What does 'convey' mean here? Transmit? NXP does not grant us right to use these drivers?
Because I've purchased LPCXpresso development kit especially because of the nice drivers. I've read at some places that these are free to use.
For example:

Quote:
The beautiful thing is that NXP does not place copyright protection on any of the files in here

http://mbed.org/users/frank26080115/libraries/LPC1700CMSIS_Lib/lodjfl

So now I'm a little bit confused...

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by goneall on Fri Feb 05 15:32:17 MST 2016
Greetings,

Can you please clarify the specific question – does the license from NXP allow use of the files with the above mentioned license notice to be used in commercial applications? 

Thanks,
Gary
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_Europe on Sun Nov 06 13:16:13 MST 2011
Hello fjrg76,

share us your driver ...

Sometimes drivers used by 90% of the people should be simple. In case of the UART only the baudrate rate is used as variable. Other variables are fixed.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fjrg76 on Thu Nov 03 23:29:30 MST 2011
NXP LPC1114 drivers are far to be useful.

Let's see at the UART's driver. As it is written, the only parameter you can configure is the baudrate. Data bits, parity and stop bits are fixed. In the case you need some other configuration you must re-write the init_uart() function. Even more, the driver doesn't include a uart_get_char() function.

While writing my timer's driver I realized that it has at least 7 parameters that can be configured, and the included driver only has 3.

These drivers should be used as an entry point for our own drivers. In this case (I guess) the license has not effects, right?

Greetings.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by inma on Thu Nov 03 13:34:50 MST 2011
Thank you for the clear answer!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_Europe on Wed Oct 26 07:48:45 MST 2011
Hi Inma,

This is the standard text which clarifies that the library is for evaluation purpose and NXP take no liability in any case. You may use it in your own application without removing this text. Library always being updated and this is the idea behind that customers can use it at their own and if came across any errors or problems let NXP and others know to fix those errors.
There is no point to get confused and feel free to use it with your own liability.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Polux rsv on Wed Oct 26 02:13:16 MST 2011
...illustrative purposes....supplied AS IS......assumes no responsability.....further testing or modification.

The main thing to understand is some of these examples are full of bugs. The CAN driver is one of these, and it was discussed in a long thread. Use them very carrefully.

Angelo.
0 Kudos