cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN driver for DSP56F805 with SDK 2.5

MichaelTibbs
Contributor I
Hi

The CAN driver support project in SDK 2.5 says it requires separate purchase. Where do I get this and how much does it cost? I am in Australia. Is it possible to view details 1st?

Any experience with how complex it is to set up a CAN network. We have experience in ModbusRTU, multidrop SPI, using SDK, but not CAN. The CAN spec is 1Mbit/s with a fairly basic set of messages: WRITE command; WRITE parameter; READ parameter; get STATUS.

I understand Processor Expert is the replacement for SDK. Does this include CAN drivers? Is there demo version of Processor Expert for DSP56F805?

Regards
Michael
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ProcessorExpert
Senior Contributor III
Hi,
The Processor Expert contains two beans (compoments generating driver code) for working with the CAN bus.
First is FreescaleCAN - a high-level bean that provides a comfortable configuration and API for runtime usage of CAN. This bean  license has to be purchased separately, it's not availabe by default. However, you can ask for a 30-days trial version.
Second is InitFlexCAN/InitMSCAN bean which allows detailed low-level configuration of the CAN peripheral but it doesn't provide any runtime control functions. All runtime operation has to be dont by the user.
This bean is available in any version of Processor Expert.

Please see more details in Buyer's guide:  http://www.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/data_sheet/950-00139.pdf?fpsp=1
and on the Freescale CodeWarrior for 56800/E pages.

best regards
Petr Hradsky
Processor Expert Support Team
UNIS

0 Kudos

MichaelTibbs
Contributor I
Thanks Petr

I understand that FlexCAN and MSCAN are low level drivers that help set the bit rate, buffer sizes and callback functionality etc.? And the FreescaleCAN is the high level driver that will save us time in constructing/deconstructing and parsing the data into/from our required proprietary CAN protocol messages?

I am needing the message format to be configurable, using AmsCAN, a high level proprietary CAN protocol, based on 1 Mbit/sec, 11-bit identifiers, fairly simple, standard message types: READ, WRITE, COMMAND, receive STATUS update.
i.e. NOT locked into a high level "CANopen" protocol. Are you able to confirm that these drivers are configurable and flexible enough to do this? I have spent ages dredging through the website and can't find much more detail.

We currently use CodeWarrior 4.2.6 with SDK 2.5. Is it too hopeful to expect that the high level driver is still available for this version? We have heaps of code based around this, (though sounds like the beans are MUCH easier to use than SDK).

I presume that Processor Expert, basic and advanced beans will not work with our older version of CodeWarrior, so we would need a 30 day trial version of CodeWarrior Basic or Standard + the advanced bean for FreescaleCAN?

Thanks again

Michael Tibbs
Learner!

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Is it true that if you have a professional license, these beans are included?

0 Kudos

allawtterb
Contributor IV

JimDon wrote:
Is it true that if you have a professional license, these beans are included?

Here are links for the avaiable beans for CodeWarrior v4.6 and v6.2.  It includes what beans are avaiable for what microcontrollers and what suite level is needed for each bean.  I believe FreescaleCAN is provided for both 4.6 and 6.2 with a professional license. 

v4.6:

v6.2:
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I hope you mean 4.7.

0 Kudos