Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 19 05:44:29 MST 2010
When I build a project there's this window's error:
make[1]: [post-build] Error 1 (ignored) NXP_Oled  line 0 C/C++ Problem

This is the console's message:
[SIZE=2][LEFT]**** Build of configuration Debug for project NXP_Oled ****

make all
'Building file: ../src/main.c'
'Invoking: MCU C Compiler'
arm-none-eabi-gcc -D__REDLIB__ -DDEBUG -D__CODE_RED -D__USE_CMSIS=CMSISv1p30_LPC11xx -I"C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\NXP_OLED\CMSISv1p30_LPC11xx\inc" -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mcpu=cortex-m0 -mthumb -MMD -MP -MF"src/main.d" -MT"src/main.d" -o"src/main.o" "../src/main.c"
'Finished building: ../src/main.c'
' '
'Building target: NXP_Oled.axf'
'Invoking: MCU Linker'
arm-none-eabi-gcc -nostdlib -L"C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\NXP_OLED\CMSISv1p30_LPC11xx\Debug" -Xlinker -Map=NXP_Oled.map -Xlinker --cref -Xlinker --gc-sections -mcpu=cortex-m0 -mthumb -T "NXP_Oled_Debug.ld" -o"NXP_Oled.axf" ./src/IOports.o ./src/cr_startup_lpc11.o ./src/main.o -lCMSISv1p30_LPC11xx
'Finished building target: NXP_Oled.axf'
' '
make --no-print-directory post-build
'Performing post-build steps'
arm-none-eabi-size NXP_Oled.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary NXP_Oled.axf NXP_Oled.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d NXP_Oled.bin;
c:\nxp\lpcxpresso_3.5\tools\bin\arm-none-eabi-size.exe: invalid option -- O
Usage: c:\nxp\lpcxpresso_3.5\tools\bin\arm-none-eabi-size.exe [option(s)] [file(s)]
Displays the sizes of sections inside binary files
If no input file(s) are specified, a.out is assumed
The options are:
-A|-B --format={sysv|berkeley} Select output style (default is berkeley)
-o|-d|-x --radix={8|10|16} Display numbers in octal, decimal or hex
-t --totals Display the total sizes (Berkeley only)
--common Display total size for *COM* syms
--target=<bfdname> Set the binary file format
@<file> Read options from <file>
-h --help Display this information[/LEFT]
-v --version Display the program's version

Do you know this kind of problem?
Daniele
[/SIZE]
0 Kudos
29 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 07:45:05 MST 2010
Dear support,
I confirm that i see the two lines that you wrote here.
I just reistalled lpcxpresso two times.
Now I think  use it without the post build command line .
Thanks a lot for your help though.
Bye

Quote: CodeRedSupport
OK. Sorry to have to ask - but can you just confirm in particular that you saw [B]exactly[/B] the two lines below:

GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i686-pc-msys
Both the version number and the "built for" string are key.

If you did, then we are out of ideas as to what is going on here. Some of the evidence you have given us suggests that the wrong make/shell is being used, but other evidence shows that the right make/shell are being used :confused:

We cannot replicate the behaviour you are seeing here, and we have received no other similar reports from LPCXpresso IDE / Red Suite users. The only workaround for you therefore remains to remove everything from the "#" onwards in the post-build step.

The only other thing that we can suggest trying is reinstalling the tools (if you choose a different installation directory, you can do this in parallel to you existing installation).

Note that the post-build step is optional, thus the fact that you get the post-build error at the end of your build will not stop you actually loading the .axf/elf image into the debugger. And when you need to carry out post-build steps, you should be able to execute them manually either via the command prompt or via the project explorer view's context sensitive menu entry "Binary Utilities".

Regards,
CodeRedSupport

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Oct 26 06:57:35 MST 2010
OK. Sorry to have to ask - but can you just confirm in particular that you saw [B]exactly[/B] the two lines below:

Built for i686-pc-msys
Both the version number and the "built for" string are key.

If you did, then we are out of ideas as to what is going on here. Some of the evidence you have given us suggests that the wrong make/shell is being used, but other evidence shows that the right make/shell are being used :confused:

We cannot replicate the behaviour you are seeing here, and we have received no other similar reports from LPCXpresso IDE / Red Suite users. The only workaround for you therefore remains to remove everything from the "#" onwards in the post-build step.

The only other thing that we can suggest trying is reinstalling the tools (if you choose a different installation directory, you can do this in parallel to you existing installation).

Note that the post-build step is optional, thus the fact that you get the post-build error at the end of your build will not stop you actually loading the .axf/elf image into the debugger. And when you need to carry out post-build steps, you should be able to execute them manually either via the command prompt or via the project explorer view's context sensitive menu entry "Binary Utilities".

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 06:35:55 MST 2010
Yes,
I tried and I saw the same that you wrote

Sorry - I don't follow you. Did you try replacing the build command used by the IDE with "[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]make --version[/SIZE][/FONT]"?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Oct 26 05:40:21 MST 2010

Quote: daniele
Ok: I see that you wrote before
Daniele

Sorry - I don't follow you. Did you try replacing the build command used by the IDE with "[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]make --version[/SIZE][/FONT]"?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 05:08:30 MST 2010
Ok: I see that you wrote before
Daniele

That is very odd - almost as if the wrong version of make is being executed.

Can you try changing the build command in the project properties from
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/msys/bin/sh.exe[/SIZE][/FONT] to

make --version
Then do a build again. I would expect you to see the following in the build log:

make --version all 
Built for i686-pc-msys
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
    Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.
Regards,
CodeRedSupport

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Oct 26 03:56:29 MST 2010
That is very odd - almost as if the wrong version of make is being executed.

Can you try changing the build command in the project properties from
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/msys/bin/sh.exe[/SIZE][/FONT] to

make --version
Then do a build again. I would expect you to see the following in the build log:

make --version all 
Built for i686-pc-msys
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
    Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>.
Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 03:37:28 MST 2010
Ok
This is the new message

[SIZE=2][LEFT]*** Build of configuration Debug for project oled_nxp ****

make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/msys/bin/sh.exe all
/c: /c: is a directory[/LEFT]
make: *** [src/IOports.o] Error 126
[/SIZE]

This is the wrong directory - msys is in the root of your install, not in the eclipse subdirectory. From the above, it looks like the correct location will be:[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1] c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/msys/bin/sh.exe[/SIZE][/FONT]

Regards,
CodeRedSupport

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Oct 26 02:50:12 MST 2010

And below the message in the console after my modify of the build command

**** Build of configuration Debug for project oled_nxp ****
make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/eclipse/msys/bin/sh.exe all
make: c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/eclipse/msys/bin/sh.exe: Command not found
make: *** [src/IOports.o] Error 127

This is the path where there's the installation  C:\nxp\lpcxpresso_3.5\eclipse\lpcxpresso.exe

Regards

This is the wrong directory - msys is in the root of your install, not in the eclipse subdirectory. From the above, it looks like the correct location will be:[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1] c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/msys/bin/sh.exe[/SIZE][/FONT]

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 02:44:21 MST 2010
Here the answer to "env" command

Microsoft Windows XP [Versione 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\nxp_oled\oled_nxp>env
!::=::\
!C:=C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\nxp_oled\oled_nxp
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Daniele.ELMARCSPA\Dati applicazioni
CDSROOT=C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_16.0
[EMAIL=CDS_LIC_FILE=5280@server01]CDS_LIC_FILE=5280@server01[/EMAIL]
COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\Programmi\File comuni
COMPUTERNAME=PC-DANIELE2
COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\sbs\private\daniele
LM_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Programmi\Cadopia\IntelliCAD 4\\cadopia.dat
LOGONSERVER=\\SBS
MAKE_MODE=DOS
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
PATH=/c/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/bin:/bin:/c/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/tools/bin:/c/nxp/lpcxp
resso_3.5/eclipse/jre/bin/client:/c/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/eclipse/jre/bin:/c/Progra
mmi/STMicroelectronics/st_toolset/asm:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/
System32/Wbem:/c/OrCAD/OrCAD_16.0/tools/bin:/c/OrCAD/OrCAD_16.0/tools/fet/bin:/c
/OrCAD/OrCAD_16.0/tools/Capture:/c/Programmi/Flash Magic:/c/Programmi/COSMIC/CXS
TM8_16K:/c/Programmi/COSMIC/CXSTM8_32K:.:/c/PROGRA~1/FLASHM~1:/c/Programmi/File
comuni/Nero/Lib/
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f06
PROGRAMFILES=C:\Programmi
PROMPT=$P$G
SESSIONNAME=Console
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=/tmp
TMP=/tmp
USERDNSDOMAIN=ELMARCSPA.LOCAL
USERDOMAIN=ELMARCSPA
USERNAME=Daniele
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Daniele.ELMARCSPA
WINDIR=C:\WINDOWS
TERM=cygwin
C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\nxp_oled\oled_nxp>

I have WindowsXP Professional Version 2002 (5.1.2600) SP3

And below the message in the console after my modify of the build command

**** Build of configuration Debug for project oled_nxp ****
make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/eclipse/msys/bin/sh.exe all
make: c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5/eclipse/msys/bin/sh.exe: Command not found
make: *** [src/IOports.o] Error 127

This is the path where there's the installation  C:\nxp\lpcxpresso_3.5\eclipse\lpcxpresso.exe

Regards

I'm sorry that this problem is taking so long to track down.

Anyway, thank you for running the command - this basically confirms that the shell that should be used for the build, and the command that fails during your build, do actually function correctly on your system.

Thus this leaves the question as to why this shell is not being invoked correctly from the IDE itself.

Two things to look at. First of all, can you:

[LIST]
[*]Open up a command prompt into your project using the status bar shortcut
[*]Enter the command "env"
[*]Paste the output from this to this thread.
[*]Can you also confirm the exact version of Windows that you are using (including service pack version).
[/LIST]Secondly, we can try forcing the invocation of make from the IDE to use the correct shell. To do this:

[LIST]
[*]Select one of your projects in the Project view
[*]Open up Project->Properties->C/C++ Build (at the top level, not one of the submenus).
[*]Under "Builder Settings", untick "Use default build command", and change the build command to:
[/LIST]
make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5.0_206/msys/bin/sh.exe
Note that you will need to change the path to match your own LPCXPresso installation. Also note that the use of Unix-style "/" for directory dividers is intentional.

Now click OK, and try building your project. At the start of the build log you should see something like:

make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5.0_206/msys/bin/sh.exe all 
Building file: ../src/cr_startup_lpc13.c
Invoking: MCU C Compiler
 :
 :
Let us know whether this now allows the post-build step to run successfully.

Regards
CodeRedSupport

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Oct 26 01:24:19 MST 2010
I'm sorry that this problem is taking so long to track down.

Anyway, thank you for running the command - this basically confirms that the shell that should be used for the build, and the command that fails during your build, do actually function correctly on your system.

Thus this leaves the question as to why this shell is not being invoked correctly from the IDE itself.

Two things to look at. First of all, can you:

[LIST]
[*]Enter the command "env"
[*]Paste the output from this to this thread.
[*]Can you also confirm the exact version of Windows that you are using (including service pack version).
[/LIST]
Secondly, we can try forcing the invocation of make from the IDE to use the correct shell. To do this:

[LIST]
[*]Select one of your projects in the Project view
[*]Open up Project->Properties->C/C++ Build (at the top level, not one of the submenus).
[*]Under "Builder Settings", untick "Use default build command", and change the build command to:
[/LIST]
make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5.0_206/msys/bin/sh.exe
Note that you will need to change the path to match your own LPCXPresso installation. Also note that the use of Unix-style "/" for directory dividers is intentional.

Now click OK, and try building your project. At the start of the build log you should see something like:

make SHELL=c:/nxp/lpcxpresso_3.5.0_206/msys/bin/sh.exe all 
Building file: ../src/cr_startup_lpc13.c
Invoking: MCU C Compiler
 :
 :
Let us know whether this now allows the post-build step to run successfully.

Regards
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Tue Oct 26 00:47:16 MST 2010
Sorry for my mistake.
Now in the prompt command there's this text below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Versione 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\nxp_oled\oled_nxp>cd Debug
C:\Progetti\PROGETTI-C\NXP_CortexM0\nxp_oled\oled_nxp\Debug>sh
sh-2.04$ arm-none-eabi-size oled_nxp.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary oled_nxp.axf oled_nxp.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d oled_nxp.bin;
   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
   2500     516       8    3024     bd0 oled_nxp.axf
sh-2.04$

When running the command within the shell, you need to run the command using the actual filenames, not the [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]$<BuildArtifactFileName>[/SIZE][/FONT] macros (which will get replaced by the IDE before it invokes the command).

In the screenshot you attached, it looks like you need:

arm-none-eabi-size pippo.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy  -O binary pippo.axf pippo.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d  pippo.bin;
Note that you can copy'n'paste text out of the command shell - there is no need to take a full screenshot Just right click on the menu bar of the cmd window, and use the Edit->Mark and Edit->Copy options to get the text to the clipboard.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Oct 25 08:05:11 MST 2010
When running the command within the shell, you need to run the command using the actual filenames, not the [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]$<BuildArtifactFileName>[/SIZE][/FONT] macros (which will get replaced by the IDE before it invokes the command).

In the screenshot you attached, it looks like you need:

arm-none-eabi-size pippo.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy  -O binary pippo.axf pippo.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d  pippo.bin;
Note that you can copy'n'paste text out of the command shell - there is no need to take a full screenshot Just right click on the menu bar of the cmd window, and use the Edit->Mark and Edit->Copy options to get the text to the clipboard.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Mon Oct 25 07:55:33 MST 2010
hello,
now there's the file attached
Regards

Can you attach your file?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Oct 25 06:44:57 MST 2010

I tried and I attached a file word with the result of command prompt.

Can you attach your file?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Mon Oct 25 01:51:24 MST 2010
I tried and I attached a file word with the result of command prompt.
After this, when I returned back in the IDE and tried again the Build Command,
the error massage disappear.
Then, if a create a error in the main.c, Build the project, remove this error and Build again the "post build error" return, but i think it's norml. Is it?
Daniele

OK, so it basically always happens when the post-build step gets invoked from the IDE. It would be interesting to know if the same happens when the post-build command is invoked from the command line. Can you:

[LIST]
[*]Build a project with a post-build step such that you get the post-build step failure.
[*]Enter "cd Debug".
[*]Enter "sh" to start the msys shell.
[*]Now back in the IDE copy to the clipboard the command line that was invoked in post-build step. In your original post this was displayed in the build log as:
[/LIST]
[INDENT]
arm-none-eabi-size NXP_Oled.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy  -O binary NXP_Oled.axf NXP_Oled.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d  NXP_Oled.bin;

[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Now paste this into at the "sh-2.04$" command prompt. To do this, right click on the title bar of the command prompt window and select "Edit->Paste" from the context sensitive window.
[/LIST]Does the command run or do you get the same error as your saw in the IDE??

Regards,
CodeRedSupport

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Oct 21 08:40:29 MST 2010
OK, so it basically always happens when the post-build step gets invoked from the IDE. It would be interesting to know if the same happens when the post-build command is invoked from the command line. Can you:

[LIST]
[*]Build a project with a post-build step such that you get the post-build step failure.
[*]Enter "cd Debug".
[*]Enter "sh" to start the msys shell.
[*]Now back in the IDE copy to the clipboard the command line that was invoked in post-build step. In your original post this was displayed in the build log as:
[/LIST]
[INDENT]
arm-none-eabi-size NXP_Oled.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy  -O binary NXP_Oled.axf NXP_Oled.bin ; checksum -p LPC1114/301 -d  NXP_Oled.bin;
[/INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]Now paste this into at the "sh-2.04$" command prompt. To do this, right click on the title bar of the command prompt window and select "Edit->Paste" from the context sensitive window.
[/LIST]
Does the command run or do you get the same error as your saw in the IDE??

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Thu Oct 21 03:52:22 MST 2010
Hello,
I confirm:
1- removing all the post-build's line commands the error disappear
2- the .axf  is created successfully
3- this problem is in all the projects who i try to create (included the nxp's project examples)
4- if i create a new project in the same workspace, the build get me the same post-build error (if i remove the line command the error disapper)
5- creating a new workspace under c:\   I have the same problem.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele,

Can you confirm if removing all of the text from the post-build step from the first semi-colon onwards allowed the post build step to successfully complete?

Also, we are assuming that the actual main build of your code was actually completing and creating the .axf file, even though the post build step was then failing (ie you can see the axf file on your hard drive). Can you confirm?

We would also like to understand whether this problem only affects a specific project, or if you see it with any project. To test, can you create a new C project using the Project wizard, and then build it. Do you get the same post-build error? If so, then can you try creating a new workspace, then create a new C project in the new workspace (preferably in the root of your hard drive, say "c:\testworkspace") - do you then still see the error?

With regards to the tests you have already run for us, these have unfortunately not shown up the cause of the problem you are seeing (which is not one we have seen previously). Certainly the correct version of make and the command shell (sh) used to carry out builds appear to be available, so should be being picked when you do a build.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Oct 21 02:59:01 MST 2010
Daniele,

Can you confirm if removing all of the text from the post-build step from the first semi-colon onwards allowed the post build step to successfully complete?

Also, we are assuming that the actual main build of your code was actually completing and creating the .axf file, even though the post build step was then failing (ie you can see the axf file on your hard drive). Can you confirm?

We would also like to understand whether this problem only affects a specific project, or if you see it with any project. To test, can you create a new C project using the Project wizard, and then build it. Do you get the same post-build error? If so, then can you try creating a new workspace, then create a new C project in the new workspace (preferably in the root of your hard drive, say "c:\testworkspace") - do you then still see the error?

With regards to the tests you have already run for us, these have unfortunately not shown up the cause of the problem you are seeing (which is not one we have seen previously). Certainly the correct version of make and the command shell (sh) used to carry out builds appear to be available, so should be being picked when you do a build.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Oct 20 08:06:45 MST 2010
We are still trying to understand your problem.

However, as a workaround, you can edit the Post Build steps and remove the first semi-colon (';') and everything after it.
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/PostProcessApp
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniele on Wed Oct 20 07:38:31 MST 2010
Dear Support: Have you got any news about my problem?
Regards
Daniele

Hello,
I attached the output producede from the commands that you suggested.
Regards,
Daniele

0 Kudos