Could not determine GDB version after sending: C:Program Files\SEGGER\jLink_V502d\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not determine GDB version after sending: C:Program Files\SEGGER\jLink_V502d\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lucas.prater on Wed Sep 23 12:49:44 MST 2015
I have followed the sprawling and confusing instructions for setting up J-Link with LPCXpresso to the T. I am using Windows 7 and I have encountered a difference for windows. The Mac version (the one in the segger tutorial) uses JLinkGDBServer.exe  as the install location but the Windows version must use JLinkGDBServerCL.exe. Debugger Configuration is supposed to auto-populate its own portable, abbreviated version of that location in the debug configuration window but since I'm using the windows version, JLinkGDBServerCL.exe it doesn't do that. So in Debug Config under the Debugger tab, I've put C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLink_V502d\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe in the Executable box under J-Link GDB Server Setup and I've put the generic portable abbreviation in the GDB Client Setup Executable box: ${cross_prefix}gdb${cross_suffix}

This configuration results in a successful debug.

However, when I try to perform program flash I get this error: "No compatible emulators available. They may be disconnected, not powered, already in use or not compatible with this target"

The J-Link probe is powered, it is not disconnected, it is not already in use. And my target LPC2378 chip is in the compatible hardware list. So none of these errors is true. I can't find any reason why it would be giving me this message. I've been trying for several days to make this work.

I'm using Windows 7, The yellow J-link SEGGER probe, an NXP LPC2378 chip and LPCXpresso.

Has anybody else tried to use the Segger J-Link with LPCXpresso and if so, is it even possible? How did you do it?
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Sep 25 06:58:04 MST 2015

Quote: Hagbard

However, the "program flash" (the little microcontroller icon in the toolbar) still does not work. I'm still getting an error message about ""No compatible emulators available."

That is because by choosing to use a J-Link probe, you have bypassed LPCXpresso's built in debug/flash programming technology. You are instead using Eclipse plugins and probe support from third parties (Segger and the GNU ARM plugins). If you want to use J-Link to program your firmware, then Segger have tools to directly do this, for example: https://www.segger.com/jflash.html

If you want to use LPCXpresso's built in debug and flash programming capabilities, then you need to use a debug probe that is natively supported by LPCXpresso, such as an LPC-Link2, or another CMSIS-DAP compatible probe.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lucas.prater on Fri Sep 25 05:28:53 MST 2015
I got it to work by linking locally to the JLinkGDBServerCL.exe file in the GDB Server setup. I also used ${cross_prefix}gdb${cross_suffix} in the GDB Client Setup Executable. I also switched the interface to J-Tag, which seems intuitive to me. In the segger how-to's they always have SWD selected. It will not debug for me with SWD selected.

LPCXpresso will debug successfully with my current settings and it also simultaneously flash programs my chip when it does it. I'm so new at this that I don't really understand what is going on when it is debugging. I thought you had to do a separate program flash action to actually upload firmware to a chip.

However, the "program flash" (the little microcontroller icon in the toolbar) still does not work. I'm still getting an error message about ""No compatible emulators available."

All things being equal though, after wrestling with these settings for a few days I've successfully loaded my firmware onto the chip so that's a win.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LessThanZero on Wed Sep 23 15:07:40 MST 2015
Here's my relevant settings:

J-Link GDB Server Setup

Check Start the J-Link GDB server locally
Executable: ${jlink_path}/${jlink_gdbserver}
Initial speed: Fixed 1000 kHz
GDB Port: 2331
SWO Port: 2332
Telnet Port: 2333

Other options: -singlerun -strict -timeout 0 -nogui

GDB Client Setup:

Executable: ${cross_prefix}gdb${cross_suffix}
Commands: set mem inaccessible-by-default off
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lucas.prater on Wed Sep 23 13:40:30 MST 2015
Yes, I have used the tutorial at that link before. When I do I do not get a successful debug. I get this error: 'Launching FILENAME Debug' has encountered a problem. Error in final launch sequence

and under Details:

Error message from debugger back end:
localhost:2331: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LessThanZero on Wed Sep 23 13:29:20 MST 2015

Try this link J-Link Debug Probes Supported IDEs NXP LPCXpresso Pro Edition NXP LPCXpresso Pro Edition if you haven't already. It's the one I used.

Before you ask, it's the same as the LPCXpresso Free Edition. This is the latest link I know of, but Segger has not been good about removing the dated material from their site.

LessThanZero
0 Kudos