cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB won't communicate during debug on DALI master

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by brianjaod on Sat Nov 16 21:39:54 MST 2013
I have the DALI master nxp board and the DALI SDK 2.0 package, which includes the dali master firmware code and the .NET VS application.  The dali master works fine with the default firmware for communicating with the Windows app over USB.  But when I build the firmware in LPCXpresso and run it in debug (using an LPC Link and LPC Link 2) mode, there is no USB communication and the win app crashes, saying that the device attached is not functioning.  However, the rest of the firmware appears to be working because the dali master LED is flashing, as it's supposed to.  It just seems like the USB communication isn't working while debugging.  Any ideas?  The whole point of buying a development board is to have a functioning starting point, which this isn't so far.   Please advise!

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by brianjaod on Mon Nov 18 08:30:15 MST 2013
Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I'm quite aware of the implications of debug mode on various interrupts.  However, I haven't even set any breakpoints yet.  I'm simply "running" the program and although other aspects of the code (i.e. LED blinking) seem to be working, USB communication is not working.  In fact, I can build a Debug release binary in LPCXpresso and then manually copy it over to the board, via the USB bootloader drive and let it run and everything works great, which implies that the code itself is good and functional.  But it just doesn't work when running in debug mode.  I wonder if there's some weird setting that's causing the problem, or if it's a particular bug within the USB rom driver in conjunction with debug operation.  Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Nov 18 01:28:54 MST 2013
I'm not familiar with the DALI kit you are using, but remember that whilst debugging, the target MCU will be halt when you hit a breakpoint etc. This means that during that period things like interrupts will not be being handled - and this is certainly going to cause USB communication issues.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos