lpcware

LPC18xx and LPC-Link 2 and LPCXpresso

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by devel@latke.net on Fri Aug 23 16:28:01 MST 2013
I am trying to get started with development using the LPC18xx family, and I can't seem to get started because there's no obvious description of what's needed!

I ordered the LPC1830-Xplorer bundle. It ships with the Keil ULink-ME programming adapter, which apparently is usable only with the Keil tools. For the obvious reason of cost, I'd like to avoid using the Keil tools so I downloaded and installed the most-recent LPCXpresso (5.2.6_2137) tools.

Because I also needed a programming adapter, and I already had the target board, I decided to order the LPC-Link 2. Got it, plugged it in, built one of the examples, and tried to debug, and was greeted with a fatal error about CRP.

While trying to figure out what that error message meant, I came across this little item, which says that the using the LPC-Link 2 to debug the LPC18xx family isn't yet supported by LPCXpresso. That article is dated June 27, 2013, so it's recent.

So, I'm spinning my wheels here. Do I need to order one of the LPCXpresso LPC1769 boards and split it apart to get the LPC-Link (non-2) debug adapter? Is there a timetable for adding LPC-Link 2/LPC18xx support to LPCXpresso?

Seriously: this is absurd. If NXP wants a customer to be able to evaluate a processor, they should make available a bundle with the development software, the JTAG/SWD programming dongle, and the eval board. Sell the kit for $100. Everything one needs to start work, right out of the box.

Which is exactly how Silicon Labs does it. They have eval boards for all of their processors, and choosing the board is easy. They make all of their boards, so they're all supported. No trying to figure out if Embedded Artists makes the board, or Hitex, or NGX, or whomever.

They offer a free Eclipse-based IDE for all of their ARMs, and free versions of the Keil tools for their 8051s.  Both work with their cheap JTAG debug dongle. That dongle is used for both eval boards and customer production hardware designs. It's very straightforward.

Plus they have a user forum in which SiLabs support folks participate.

If SiLabs had a Cortex-M3 processor with High Speed USB support, I wouldn't even bother with NXP.

Sorry for the rant, but I want to get this design moving ...

-a

Outcomes