cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso-IDE Hang during Project Build

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by daniel.widyanto on Wed May 26 00:33:37 MST 2010
Hi,

I'm using LPCXpresso v3.3.4 (Build id:2010-04-08) with Microsoft Windows XP professional.

I experienced a lot of hanging event if I do project build. It seems like every time I do right click->Build Project, the process stop at 'make all'. Usually, I just need to click 'cancel' command and wait for several minutes before I can redo the build.

It's not crashing the system, but it's quite annoying to stop your work several minutes just because the 'make' program is stopped, waiting for something before it can do its job.

I hope this issue can be fixed for the next release
0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Gruffy on Thu Aug 02 02:08:58 MST 2012
Hi there,

New to LCPXpress etc, but not new to Eclipse/ARM etc. I have the same trouble, when I try to build the sample projects it will "freeze" in make for a long time. The build is extremely slow.

Did anyone find any kind of solution to this?

LPCXpresso:
Version: LPCXpresso v4.2.3 [Build 292] [30/05/2012]
Running on Windows 7 machine.

EDIT: Actually it seems like I solved it now. I think it was when using the "default suggested" workspace place. This is actually suggesting to use "MyDocuments" and this folder is setup to be a "network folder" on my company. When I moved the workspace to a local drive it works as expected...hence the problem was my IS/IT at my comapny... ;)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tgalluzzo on Sun Jul 03 10:33:49 MST 2011
I'm not running any antivirus software, but you are correct in that this definitely seems like this problem doesn't have anything to do with lpcxpresso. I'll dig around google for some help with this Windows issue.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sun Jul 03 01:42:44 MST 2011

Quote:

In fact, all the exe files in that directory seem to have this slow first time run problem. Very weird!

This sounds like it is your antivirus software scanning each binary before allowing it to run. I'd check your antivirus settings
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tgalluzzo on Sat Jul 02 16:14:01 MST 2011
I don't think it is an eclipse problem, because I ran make.exe from the command line without even running eclipse and I still saw the 30sec delay.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Sat Jul 02 15:39:52 MST 2011
Sounds like an Eclipse problem. Did you google something like 'Eclipse slow' already ?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4386119/eclipse-getting-too-slow-workspace-recreation-helped
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tgalluzzo on Sat Jul 02 15:14:17 MST 2011
Good suggestion. I just downloaded and installed lpcxpresso 4. However, it did not improved the issue. But this is interesting...

I ran the make.exe file just by itself from within its installed directory (c:\nxp\LPCXpresso_4.0.5_123\lpcxpresso\msys\bin) and discovered that it has the same issue. At first I thought the project makefile itself might be causing the issue, but now it looks like the issue is with the make.exe itself. In fact, all the exe files in that directory seem to have this slow first time run problem. Very weird!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Sat Jul 02 14:43:03 MST 2011
Perhaps LPCXpresso 4 is faster :):)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tgalluzzo on Sat Jul 02 13:57:21 MST 2011
I have a similar problem. I'm running Windows 7 with LPCXpresso v3.6.3 [Build 317] [08/04/2011]. When I try to build or debug the console window says "make all" and then it does nothing for almost 30sec.

I tried your command line suggestion. Interesting. When I type "make clean" the first time, I see the same waiting for about 30sec. If I type "make clean" again, it doesn't wait at all. Then if I wait for a minute or so before typing make clean again, it will again do nothing for about 30sec. Very strange. Could this be a dll loading issue?

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed May 26 04:37:16 MST 2010
This is not a known problem, we have not experienced it ourselves, and we have not seen any other reports of this happening.

To help us track down what is happening on your machine can you do the following things for us please?
1. In the directory containing your workspace, there will be a directory ".metadata" containing a file called ".log". Could you post the ".log" file
2. Can you try the build from the command line and tell us what happens. A quick way to do this is to
- select the project
- on the status line at the bottom of the LPCXpresso IDE, hold down the Ctrl key while pressing the mouse button over the project name. This will open a command window in the project location.
- execute the following commands:
-- cd Debug
-- make clean
-- make all

Also, please tell us how much memory you have in your system
0 Kudos