LPC1769 + EasyWeb: running without debugger?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1769 + EasyWeb: running without debugger?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by msemtd on Fri Apr 01 01:29:07 MST 2011
Hi, you'll have to forgive my lack of expertise as I'm used to simpler platforms for software development! Just last night I managed to get my little LCP1769 board to run the EasyWeb example and serve up the example page (through a magjack) via debug -- that's great, I'm very pleased!

But when I tried to run it without the debugger, but powered from the same USB port, it doesn't seem to work - it looks like it gets into some sort of reset loop (the link and activity lights on my switch show regular ~1.5Hz bursts). Is this because the LPC1769 is trying to talk to the debugger with its printf statements and the like? Perhaps it's trying to talk to something on the development board (that I don't have!)

I built the "release" build configuration and that ran OK --- but again only under the debugger! My next line of enquiry (after some sleep) will be to try and strip out anything that looks like it is dependent on development board or some other fancy stuff I don't yet understand but there's so much of it that I doubt I'll get very far. So I'm reaching out for some community support -- can any kind enlightened soul let me know what's wrong?:D
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Saul Bonilla on Fri Jan 25 20:43:17 MST 2013
Thank you very much in advance for your support, really helped me.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Apr 01 03:05:58 MST 2011
If you use RDB1768cmsis_EasyWeb doesn't need a development board (if you've managed to connect a MagJack as described in

http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=magjack).

You just have to change a few things:
[INDENT]1. Change IP address (MYIP) and Gateway IP (GWIP) in tcpip.h.

2. Delete RDB-LCD (RDB1768cmsis_LCDlib) library in
[INDENT]Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> MCU Linker -> Libraries
[/INDENT]3. Delete this path: ${workspace_loc:/RDB1768cmsis_LCDlib/inc}" in
[INDENT]Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> MCU C Compiler -> Directories
[/INDENT]4. Unselect LCD library in
[INDENT]Properties -> Project Reference
[/INDENT]5. Change MCU setting to LPC1769, if you're using a LPC1769 board.
[/INDENT]After that compiler shows a lot of errors because he can't find LCD functions. Just comment this lines out. That's all, now it should work with LPC-Link board or without, with debugger or without. You just have to supply your target board with 3.3V and watch this 2 red PHY LED's. One LED should be on (=connect) and one should blink sometimes (= traffic).

Note: If your target:

Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> MCU Linker -> Target

uses RedLib(nohost) library, your board can work standalone (nohost = need no host debugger). Of course, semihosting functions (like printf to console) are not included and therefore not working.

You can change this library very easy in Quickstart Panel -> Quick Settings -> Set library type
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by msemtd on Fri Apr 01 02:48:57 MST 2011
Ah, I thought as much!

I also thought it might just work anyway (I'm making it rather obvious how little I know about this platform!)

Right so it's a case of including the non-semihost libs as per http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LibraryVariants and ensuring I don't mess about printf-ing to nowhere! (actually I'd prefer to direct console output to UART so I'll look into that)

Thanks for the rapid support - I am impressed!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Fri Apr 01 02:37:35 MST 2011
If you are using semihosting printf (i.e. the output appears on the debugger console) then you must remove them if you are not connected to the debugger. Semihosting works through a special instruction that is trapped by the debugger. If the debugger is not present then you application will just stop.
0 Kudos