Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso v4.0.5 - Debugging (no symbols) problems

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jaf on Wed Aug 03 15:10:06 MST 2011
Recently purchased 1769 MCU and I've found Im unable to debug due to missing symbols only on new projects that use the CMSIS v1 or v2 libraries.  The debugger/program runs but the breakpoints will not fire.  I like to think I know Eclipse CDT very well and well rehearsed in the compiling and linking process.

Importing the example projects, I can run and debug without any problems.  This issue only involves creating a new project via Quickstart Wizard.  If I create a function that invokes a CMSIS library function (ignoring any NULL checks here) the problem occurs.   Everything compiles and links okay, it just will not debug and stop at a breakpoint.  It's seems to be due to symbols not being found.  I've also ensured my program and the CMSIS library is compiled with -O0 -g3 -Wall

#include <LPC17xx.h>

LPC_GPIO_TypeDef* gpio(void) {
   LPC_GPIO_TypeDef *gpio = LPC_GPIO0; 
   return gpio;
}

Now, if I comment out the above two lines and just return NULL and still leave the include header, my program will debug and all breakpoints will fire.

I tried for days comparing my project's settings with the examples provided but to no avail.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Aug 05 14:36:26 MST 2011

Quote: jaf
... I can't see that documented...

See user manual UM10360, LPC17xx User manual Rev. 2 — 19 August 2010 Chapter 32 :)

Quote: jaf
...Still strange how it doesn't breakpoint as that statement shouldn't have executed to cause it to fail...

If ISP pin is low and a reset occurs (after flashing your program, LC-link is also resetting the target) a debug session is trying to debug the bootloader :eek:
Result: No breakpoints, no symbols :mad:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jaf on Fri Aug 05 14:15:41 MST 2011
Oh, I didn't know that.  I can't see that documented.  I've changed the code and it works.  Still strange how it doesn't breakpoint as that statement shouldn't have executed to cause it to fail.

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

Jaf
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Aug 05 11:31:39 MST 2011
#1 Your project is running here without problems (V4.0.6) :)

#2 Are you aware that P2.10 is your ISP pin and therefore shouldn't be used for anything else? So does this problem occur if you use another output ? Is there anything connected to P2.10 ?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jaf on Fri Aug 05 11:13:38 MST 2011
See example attached.

Again, ignore the lack of error checking as this is just to demonstrate the problem.  There are occasions when I can get it working by say, changing
gpio_dir(GPIO_2, GPIO_OUT, 1<<10); 

to

gpio_dir(GPIO_2, GPIO_OUT, 1<<3);

Still very strange.  When attempting to Debug I get no breakpoints firing and occasionally get a new tab reporting No source available at "" or it just jumps to cr_startup_lpc176x.c file still with no breakpoints but in a running state.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Wed Aug 03 15:51:42 MST 2011
Please export the whole project :)
0 Kudos