Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less cumbersome way to program and reset device

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mfph on Thu Apr 28 15:47:40 MST 2011
Hello I would like to know a couple things:

Firstly, is there is a less cumbersome way to program the LPCxpresso LPC1114 dev kit for release from Code Red LPCXpresso IDE?
At the moment I have to click the "Program flash" button. It proceeds to load up very slowly (several seconds). It then comes up with a box to say the device is already connected, to which I have to select the bottom option and click OK. Then I have to manually select the file to program!...Back when I was programming Atmel AVR devices using WinAVR gnu compiler/programmers notepad package, all this was a simple instantaneous key combination!!

Secondly, after I've programmed the device I have to disconnect/reconnect USB cable to be able to get the device to output data through RS232 via max232-type level convertor to my computer. It seems it is not resetting, despite having the option selected in the programmer settings. There should be no ground loop issues unless it is with the way the LPCXpresso kit sequences the programming operations maybe? Anyone come across this issue before?

Kind Regards
Mikael
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mfph on Fri Apr 29 21:42:54 MST 2011
Thanks all for your replies

@ CodeRedSupport, I will give this shortcut thing ago when I get the chance. This sounds like what I was after. With WinAVR for example, the default makefile template has a flash programming section which can be run by a shortcut added to Programmers Notepad.

@larryvc, yes I agree that it would be nice to have a instant flash program. Quite often I find myself quickly compiling something for testing in the office where I have re-used working code or made just a simple change (e.g. calibration constant) to a product's firmware and I just want it to compile and run standalone...it would even be nice to be able to select 'new project' and choose "release" or "debug" from the start.

@ ArneB, yes I have been using debug but I wanted to compile in "release" to, ironically, debug a strange problem I suspected was to do with the debugger (which wasn't the case by the way).

I should mention that problem #2 I was having does not occur in debug mode. I suspect there is something going on in hardware when the device is reset after program for release. Possibly latch up due to the rs232 level shifter remaining on when the LPC1114 device is reset? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Kind regards
Mikael
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri Apr 29 01:23:44 MST 2011

Quote: ArneB

That's the way i work...

@ArneB, That's the way I, and I imagine many, do this.

Quote: CodeRedSupport
Because this is the first request for this we have ever received. I conclude that it is an unusual way of working...

@CodeRedSupport,

Unusual yes, but I did learn another way of using the IDE's features.:)

Is it to late to add to the next IDE?  It would be nice to have one button to flash the program and have it run without having to manually reset the hardware.

While you're at it could you add undo and redo buttons for the editor?:p;)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ArneB on Fri Apr 29 01:00:07 MST 2011
Hi Mikael,

do you have tried to use the debug button ? Before a debug session starts, your program will be compiled and flashed into the device automatically. You only have to press the green "run" button afterwards.
That's the way i work...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Apr 29 00:56:28 MST 2011
Because this is the first request for this we have ever received. I conclude that it is an unusual way of working...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri Apr 29 00:09:08 MST 2011
Why not integrate that into the IDE instead of having us do things externally?

Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Apr 29 00:00:45 MST 2011
Did you see:
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/CommandLineFlashProgramming

You can combine this with
Run->External Tool

To create a shortcut
0 Kudos