cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Error in final launch sequence

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Helmut Stettmaier on Fri Jan 17 12:44:30 MST 2014
Hello,
There is a problem debugging with LPCXpresso
Perhaps this problem is well known and already solved, but I can't find a useable hit. Sorry.

I could download Blinky using the flash tool ("Program target flash: LPC8xx (NXP LPC812)") and it runs.
Debugging Blinky on an LPCXpresso LPC812 didn't work.

Versions: LPCXpresso_6.1.0_164 (freshly installed) / LPCXpresso LPC812 Rev A on Port_#0004.Hub_#0010 / Windows 8.1

Attempting to download it ended up in:

Error in final launch sequence
Reason: Error in final launch sequence (yes, message was repeated)
The details are:
Failed to execute MI command: -exec-runError message from debugger back end: Error creating process C:\Users\Helmut\Documents\LPCXpresso_6.1_164\workspace\Blinky\Debug\Blinky.axf, (error 193).
Error creating... (yes, text was repeated).

I found the advice for unchecking "Initialise LPC-Link..." and tried it, but interpreting the error message as good as I can I didn't expect that it works (It didn't).
I checked the Firewall, I work as the only User on this computer and don't think that there are access problems.
Of course, using another USB port didn't help.

C:\nxp\LPCXpresso_6.1.0_164\lpcxpresso\bin\Scripts>bootlpcxpresso          ended up with
Not supported on this platform

Please help... and a kind "Thank You" in advance.
Helmut
0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Helmut Stettmaier on Tue Jan 21 04:53:32 MST 2014
"Filter text": Yes, that's convincing, but I never had found anything using this function so far.
Quickstart: It sounds a bit like: They are made especially for you! :-D
Hope that helps - Yesss, it does - you see I can laugh again.
Now let's port some code using floating point arithmetic from PC to M0+.
Tanks and good bye
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 20 13:46:11 MST 2014
I think I can explain what happened.

In your original Workspace, you probably created a Debug configuration using the standard Eclipse method. This is perfectly OK, provided you choose the correct options... I suspect that you did not. Also, by default, the Debug configuration will have been stored in the Workspace (as opposed to the project). When you deleted the project and recreated it (with the same name) the incorrect Debug configration will still have been in the Workspace and so you will have got the same behaviour.

When you press the Quickstart 'Debug' button it automatically creates a Debug configuration with all of the correct settings (including storing it in the Project, instead of the Workspace - this is the .launch files you will find in your project).

So, creating a new workspace will have cleared out all of the old Debug configurations and allowed your newly imported project to work, correctly.

To answer your questions.

1. "Filter text" in the preferences dialog. This is standard Eclipse feature that will search all of the preferences for the string that you type and show those pages where a preference matches. This is very useful if you can remember the preference name, but not on which (of the many) pages it is on

2. The Quickstart buttons are shortcuts for standard Eclipse features, but will correctly set all options etc. You can use the standard Eclipse toolbar, but it will always take more steps to configure the options.

Hope that helps
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Helmut Stettmaier on Mon Jan 20 11:23:32 MST 2014
Hello,
[list]
  [*]there was an old C:\Users\Helmut\Documents\LPCXpresso_5.0.12_1083\workspace which contains solely .metadata,
  [*]the current C:\Users\Helmut\Documents\LPCXpresso_6.1.0_164\workspace which contains .metadata and 4 more subdirectories Blinky, CMSIS_CORE_LPC8xx, I2C and lpc800_driver_lib. It is used by the current LPCXpresso installation, as confirmed during startup.
  [*]And, finally, another C:\Users\Helmut\eclipsecdt\workspace which contains .metadata and other subdirectories for native C projects.[/list]
Of course I believe that these didn't interfer each other, but who can be sure?

To tell it in short words: After using a new, empty, fresh workspace and after installing Blinky, CMSIS_CORE_LPC8xx, CMSIS_DSPLIB_CM0 and, finally, lpc800_driver_lib the debugger started working.
Thank you for your help!

I do not know or understand how the problem was caused and I hope it will not happen again. I don't seek such problems, they seek me! Honestly :-)
If you are interested I could send you a copy of any of the workspaces for analysis.

2 questionos arose in this thread:[list]
  [*]I never understood what to type as "type filter text" in a preferences dialog. And I could not find help.
  [*]What is the difference between the buttons in the Quickstart Panel and the corresponding buttons in the toolbar? May or shall I not use the buttons in the toolbar?
[/list]

Again, thank you for the help.
Kind regards,
Helmut
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 20 07:25:40 MST 2014
We have tested this again here on a Win 8.1 install and still cannot replicate the behaviour that you are seeing. The "launch delegates" text that you are seeing is very strange.

Can you please confirm that when you were doing your testing, you used a completely fresh workspace directory? ie you selected a new directory which had never been used by LPCXpresso IDE before,  and perhaps more importantly not by any other Eclipse based tool either.

The simplest way to do this is if you already have LPCXpresso IDE running is to select File -> Switch Workspace -> Other… and enter the name of a directory that you know does not exist (e.g. C:\testwkspace).

After selecting this workspace, LPCXpresso IDE will restart and create the directory. Now reimport the example projects, and use the quickstart panel to start a debug session for blinky.

Finally, note that the Quickstart Panel has been a fundamental part of the LPCXpresso IDE ever since it was first made available late 2009 (though you could of course have closed the view yourself).

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Helmut Stettmaier on Mon Jan 20 05:53:25 MST 2014
Hello,
what I have done after your first hint:
[list]
  [*]I checked the Run- and Debug-configurations and discovered that I had (surprisingly) 3 Run- and ond Debug configuration. I did not willingly create one. As the Apply button is disabled when nothing was changed I have no idea how this happened.
  [*]I deleted all configurations and wanted to create a fresh one with defaults, but the "new" button remained disabled and I found no way to enable it. Your hint concerning the user manual is of course 100% justified... :-)
  [*]I deleted the whole project and wanted to import Blinky once more. It didn't work as the project wasn't deleted completely, it just didn't appear in the project list (there were still other projects CMSIS_CORE_LPC8xx, I2C and lpc800_driver_lib as I was curious about these). So I used the explorer to delete the Blinky directory from my workspace.
  [*]Now I improrted Blinky once more, using the "import project(s)" button in the Quickstart Panel. In the help, in chapter "Getting started | Basic tutorial | The Workbench" there is a screenshot with "An outline is not available" at the place where the Quickstart Panel is located.
  [list]
    [*]Hit "Import project(s)", the "Import project(s)" dialog appears.
    [*]Hit Browse (project archive, the upper one)
    [*]Navigate to NXP/LPC800/NXP_LPC8xx_SampleCodeBundle and select Blinky and the other 3 projects mentioned above.
    [*]Hit finish.
  [/list]
All this is intuitive and I did it as described in the manual.
  [*]Now there is one configuration: Blinky debug. (Right-click Blinky in the projects list, choose Properties and look under Run/Debug settings.
[/list]
I think, the freshly imported new Blinky should immediately be ready for debugging, so I attached the LPCXpresso board and hit "Debug Blinky [Debug]", the choice as described above appeared:
Available launch delegates
Select a launch delegate
. Standard Create Process Launcher
. MCU Application Launcher
. GDB (DSF) Create Process Launcher
This might be the center of thepuzzle, as this dialog is describen nowhere and as the help does not work.

I did [u]not [/u] see the dialog "Connect to emulator: NXP LPC8xx" but the box mentioned above. Therefore I could not follow instructions from 4.3.1 on.
One might think, the probe wasn't installed correctly, but I could download Blinky and it blinks as expected.

Perhaps I should mention:
[list]
  [*]I have another eclipse installed (eclipse-cdt/Juno), but it didn't run during all this. It works as desired.
  [*]I have installed LPCXpresso under Win8 and started it once, but never used it until I had updated to Win8.1. Then I started using it. Before I opened this thread I uninstalled and reinstalled LPCXpresso completely.
  [*]A year ago I had LPCXpresso running (the current version of this time) and it worked as desired, but it had no Quickstart Panel in this version. I liked working with it.
[/list]

What I could do:
Uninstall LPXCpresso and reinstall it, but I doubt that this would help.
I could install LPCXpresso in an WinXP-box, but that could not be the desired solution. You also warn to to so.

During installation I had no real choice to do something wrong, just install the drivers or not, and of course I installed them. The only thing I could have done wrong is to connect the hardware before the installation was complete, but I didn't. :-)
I appreciate that the registry remains untouched.

"...(and it does for everybody else)..." I'm quite familiar with such cases, I have to accept my fate... :-}

Kind regards and, again, thanks!
Helmut
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Sat Jan 18 01:57:00 MST 2014
Can you follow the instructions in the LPCXpresso User Guide - Chapter 4 "Importing and Debugging example projects" (also available directly from the Help menu). And let us know what happens?

Assuming this works (and it does for everybody else), could you provide exact, step-by-step, instructions of what you did to get the errors you received? We may then be able to understand what happened and look into making sure it can't happen again.

Thanks

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Helmut Stettmaier on Fri Jan 17 15:46:13 MST 2014
No, but I had 3 Run configurations (I never created any, at least intentionally:-)).
I simply restarted deleting the project "Blinky", deleting it also from the workspace (using the file explorer, as Eclipse left something there and refused reimport) and imported it again.
I can build it, but when trying to debug a choice box appeares:
Available launch delegates
Select a launch delegate
. Standard Create Process Launcher
. MCU Application Launcher
. GDB (DSF) Create Process Launcher
There is a help button, but it doesn't bring up any help.
Which one is the right one?
I'm afraid, a have seen this box in one of my very first attempts, but in never showed up again and I (sorry) forgot it.
Shall I really not use the buttons in the tool bar? Why are they still there?
Many thanks in advance,
Helmut
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Jan 17 14:27:23 MST 2014
It looks like you have created you own debug configuration, and set it it run (not debug).

As the previous poster suggested, use the Debug button in the quick start panel. You may need to delete you existing configuration first.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Fri Jan 17 14:01:58 MST 2014
How did you create the debug session? The best way is to press the debug button in the QuickStart panel.
0 Kudos