Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESC - CodeRed and NXP

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Thu May 05 12:45:21 MST 2011
Last night I returned home after spending two days at ESC in San Jose, CA.  I met many of the great people from both companies and it was a pleasure to have done so.:)

I got a glimpse of some of the future products they will be releasing and they are very cool.:cool:  Can't wait to get my hands on them and I'm sure many of you will want them too.  I'll leave it to them to announce what they are.

Larry

P.S. Andy, I did leave after that final, 50th?, goodbye, have a safe trip home.:D
0 Kudos
22 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Wed Oct 05 10:35:49 MST 2011
Still in development phase...:eek:. NxP is losing time here. Others (ST, TI, FS) are ready
with their M4 silicon and dev.tools. Despite showing the first M4/M0 silicon demo in
2010, nxp seem to be lagging a bit now. Please stop executing NOP( )
instructions...this is not the way to become a mixed signal MCU leader.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Tue Oct 04 07:47:01 MST 2011
According to the NXP website, the product status of all LPC43xx devices is DEVELOPMENT.  If you want a Cortex-M4, the FreeScale Kinetis is the only one currently available (the STM32F4 is not available yet as well).  Quite a few Kinetis devices (and tools such as development boards and free software with RTOS) are are available through distribution (and direct from FS) right now.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by sjalloq on Tue Oct 04 04:45:38 MST 2011
Sorry to drag up an old thread but this was the only one that mentioned the LPC43xx series.

I've been hoping that we would get an lpcxpresso board supporting the LPC4350 but EA have said there is zero chance.  Does anyone have any info on any dev board that may be available?  Larry, I'm assuming the board you saw at ESC was NXPs own?  Any ideas on availability or price?  Full production of the LPC4300 doesn't seem to be anywhere near ready.

Thanks, Shareef.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Sat May 07 11:54:46 MST 2011

Quote: Rob65
... and I will definitely also buy the lpc4350 Developer's Kit (oops - slip of the [I][B]tongue :eek:[/B][/I]) hopefully with a nice LCD to attach to the LPC's LCD controller.

Why do I think this LCD is a nice addition to the existing ones?
Why do I need an LPC4350 next to my lpc2106, 2138, 2148, 2468, 1114, 1343 and 11u14 (oops did it again :D) boards ?
Just because sometimes there is a better fit for the product I'm building.

Rob

I guess you will not want EAs 7 inch touch screen. Oops.;)

LCD: No crystal ball here.
LPC4350: "If they build it you will come", think baseball field.

All in all, like most of us you are a stark raving electronics lunatic.:D
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Sat May 07 11:47:00 MST 2011
See here for a collection of STN 128x64 LCDs http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/parametric.phtml?importancedisplay=50&display_type=graphic&cold...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sat May 07 11:24:42 MST 2011
Rmteo is right,

Quote: rmteo
The 96x64 OLED display on the EA baseboard is an example.

I have all different displays from EA, ranging from the OLED on the LPC base board, 2-line displays on the christmas tree and the lpc2148 education board, the 128x128 color (Nokia) LCD on the Color LCD game board and I also bought the 2.8" OLED and 3.2" LCD and I will definitely also buy the lpc4350 Developer's Kit (oops - slip of the tong :eek:) hopefully with a nice LCD to attach to the LPC's LCD controller.

Searching my treasure chest I was missing a nice LCD for my board-computer (an integrated solution for my bike with spedometer, LED headlight controller, battery management & more). It needs to be readable without backlight with optional backlight, not too big, not too small and energy friendly.
So yes, there are lots of displays available but most are too small, too expensive for a commercial solution or just too big.

Why do I think this LCD is a nice addition to the existing ones?
Why do I need an LPC4350 next to my lpc2106, 2138, 2148, 2468, 1114, 1343 and 11u14 (oops did it again :D) boards ?
Just because sometimes there is a better fit for the product I'm building.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Sat May 07 07:50:42 MST 2011

Quote: Rob65

The LCD is a 64128N from DisplayTech (128 x 64 dots transflective LCD) controlled via SPI. Very nice thing - I don't understand why webshops don't sell this thing, it's ideal for most (hobby) projects.

Rob

There are all manners of SPI and/or I2C (including some RS232) graphic LCD's available - mostly today the emphasis is on TFT and OLED rather than STN, though.

The 96x64 OLED display on the EA baseboard is an example.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Fri May 06 12:10:16 MST 2011

Quote: larryvc
I could be wrong about this.  Maybe we will all be surprised by a lower cost.

Now that would be cool.:cool:

One can always hope - although I wouldn't hold my breath.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri May 06 11:27:42 MST 2011

They will most definitely be more expensive as they are quite a bit more powerful.

I could be wrong about this.  Maybe we will all be surprised by a lower cost.

Now that would be cool.:cool:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Fri May 06 11:04:07 MST 2011
Thanks for the link, Larry.  E-mail sent.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri May 06 10:24:30 MST 2011
Hi rmteo,

They will most definitely be more expensive as they are quite a bit more powerful.

This might interest and inform you:

http://ics.nxp.com/support/training/lpc4300.intro/

Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Fri May 06 10:07:33 MST 2011
Thanks for the link.  Looks like it has 2 of the features - SDIO and External Memory Interface.  Although the addition of a Cortex-M0 co-processor seems rather odd to me.  Another major unknown at this point in time is pricing - though it seems like it will be higher than the LPC17xx devices - correct?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri May 06 09:43:03 MST 2011
Don't know.

http://ics.nxp.com/products/lpc4000/lpc43xx/~LPC4323/#LPC4323
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Fri May 06 09:36:48 MST 2011
Will the  LPC43xx have:
a.  Secure Digital host controller.
b.  12-bit or better DAC.
c.  12-bit or better (preferably 16-bit) ADC.
d.  PGA for ADC.
e.  External Bus Interface.
f.   Some form of Touch Sensor Interface.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri May 06 02:48:48 MST 2011
That whole sentence should have had quotes around it.  I knew someone would notice if I left them off.:)

It took me a while to figure out what he had said too.  I, as you, feel a lot like a mushroom.  Kept in the dark and fed a lot of sh!^.;)

I'm glad that I hadn't purchased a baseboard yet after hearing this.  I guess we will have to see if this is true or not and what other surprises they have in store for us.

Nice picture and setup.  Too bad we can't get 8 GByte SPI flash.  Don't ask why I need it, I can't tell you here.  I'll stick with microSD and an adapter for now.

Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Fri May 06 01:42:35 MST 2011

and would probably need jumpers to attach additional features to the [I][B]current[/B][/I] EA baseboard[I].:)[/I]

Current baseboard ??? You're not telling us that a new one will come out are you ???
I've still got 3 [I]current[/I] ones that I need to sell.

These boards are nice tings to play with.
Whenever I am starting with a new design I just plug my own stuff on the board using a few wires. The design of the baseboard is a good start to find some cheap components for my own designs.
I needed some large data storage and already had an SD card ready but inspired by the baseboard I decided to go for an SPI Flash. Guess what; a 2 MByte SPI Flash is cheaper than an SD card connector and smaller in size too :)

Shown here is my current development setup; an lpc1343 + baseboard with LCD and wireless tranceiver.
The LCD is a 64128N from DisplayTech (128 x 64 dots transflective LCD) controlled via SPI. Very nice thing - I don't understand why webshops don't sell this thing, it's ideal for most (hobby) projects.

Rob

[IMG]http://bikealive.nl/img-for-others/LPCXpresso-forum/xpresso-ant-lcd-small.jpg[/IMG]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Thu May 05 23:11:48 MST 2011

Quote: vasanth
Hi Larry,
       Sorry...:o. Thanks for that info. Can't wait...:p.

Have they got any plans for lpcxpresso with lpc4300.
That would be so cool...!

Hi Vasanth,

No problem.  I was going to suggest that a cup of chamomile tea might help.:D

I did speak with an NXP representative that was hoping Embedded Artists would build one.  It would need to be longer to bring out all the pins and would probably need jumpers to attach additional features to the [I][B]current[/B][/I] EA baseboard[I].:)[/I]

That would be very cool and If anyone from EA is monitoring this forum, I think I know someone that is, that's three votes in favor of you building one.

EA build it before Nuvoton does.  That really doesn't matter though, they will just copy it later and declare immunity from copyright infringement.  Just my opinion.

Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Thu May 05 22:41:44 MST 2011
Hi Larry,
       Sorry...:o. Thanks for that info. Can't wait...:p.

Have they got any plans for lpcxpresso with lpc4300.
That would be so cool...!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Thu May 05 22:03:12 MST 2011
Hi Vasanth,

You did wake up grumpy today yes.:rolleyes:

I agree with you that it has taken a long time for this to be available to us.:(

It's that finally they have a nice development board that I have seen working and it will be out soon along with IDE support.:)

Hope your day gets better,
Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vasanth on Thu May 05 21:17:04 MST 2011
What excites you in LPC43xx ?.
NxP has been showing LPC4300 demo since ESC 2010. But the IC and dev.tools still goes only to lead customers.
The only thing we can do is to watch the videos of LPC43xx...on youtube...:mad:!!
0 Kudos