cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make.exe crashing during build

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nsalzman on Tue Sep 20 14:28:10 MST 2011
I recently installed LPCXpresso version 4.0.6 [Build 152] on a Windows NT machine. Everything appears to install normally, but when I try to build a sample project, make.exe crashes. Running make clean followed by make all from the command line yields the following:

fatal error: system_LPC17xx.h: No such file or directory.

I have attached the full results of the make all command as a text file. Within the IDE, I have no trouble locating the file or linking to it via the include in cr_startup_lpc176x.c, and both CMSIS V2 and 1p3 are installed. If it matters, the project is 'timer' included in the mcb1700.code.bundle.lpc1769.lpcxpresso.zip sample file from the nxp website.  I also had no problems getting this working on a different machine running Windows 7.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
8 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by clkunde on Sat Dec 31 16:41:34 MST 2011
I had the same problem.

Very simple. Do not use directories name with accent or special characteres.

LPCxpresso can't find paths with it.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nsalzman on Fri Sep 23 08:08:26 MST 2011
Okay, so I'm making some progress but I still can't figure out why projects are not importing correctly on a Windows XP machine.

I start up the IDE, create a new workspace, and import all of the projects from

C:\nxp\LPCXpresso_4.0.6_152\lpcxpresso\Examples\NXP\LPC1000\LPC17xx\NXP_LPCXpresso1769_MCB1700_2011-02-11.zip

I then navigate to the file timer\Debug\makefile or timer\Debug\timer.map  and it includes references to files located at "D:\projects\lpcxpresso\(a bunch of other stuff).  This matches up with what is in the zip archive before importing the project into the IDE.

So it appears like what is happening is that when the project is imported, it is not modifying the makefiles to reference the appropriate local file locations.  On my computer where I have gotten everything working, the makefiles and .map files etc. all reference the appropriate locations.

So what is going on during the import, or what environment variables are missing that are causing this problem?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Thu Sep 22 09:37:34 MST 2011
Always a good idea:

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/InvalidProjPath

Did you check include / source / path settings in your project ?

Perhaps you should post your project to be sure that there's no wrong setting in there.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nsalzman on Thu Sep 22 09:09:34 MST 2011
Thanks, CodeRedSupport.

Quote: CodeRedSupport
Windows NT is not a supported platform for LPCXPresso IDE - you need to be running Windows XP (or later). A full list of supported platforms is given on the LPCXpresso IDE download site

Sorry, my mistake. The computer in question is running Windows XP SP3. I reinstalled the IDE and created a new workspace, and now get the following running when running make from the command line:

C:\nxp\workspace\timer\Debug>make all
Building file: ../src/cr_startup_lpc176x.c
Invoking: MCU C Compiler
arm-none-eabi-gcc -D__REDLIB__ -DDEBUG -D__CODE_RED -D__USE_CMSIS=CMSISv2_LPC17x
x -I"D:\projects\lpcxpresso\samples\1769\lpcx\CMSISv2_LPC17xx\inc" -O0 -Os -g3 -
Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mcp
u=cortex-m3 -mthumb -MMD -MP -MF"src/cr_startup_lpc176x.d" -MT"src/cr_startup_lp
c176x.d" -o"src/cr_startup_lpc176x.o" "../src/cr_startup_lpc176x.c"
../src/cr_startup_lpc176x.c:51:28: fatal error: system_LPC17xx.h: No such file o
r directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [src/cr_startup_lpc176x.o] Error 1

If I go through and manually edit the makefiles (the ones that say don't edit on them!) to change the D:\projects\..... path to the actual location of the CMSIS project and others on my computer, it gets further through the build process but still does not complete the make (and I am manually editing a file that says not to edit it).  I am not sure why there is now a (incorrect) windows-like path where in my previous post there was a (incorrect) unix-like path.

I am fairly certain that this is some sort of path problem, but I have no idea how to fix it in the IDE. Any ideas?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Sep 22 04:58:07 MST 2011

Quote: nsalzman
I recently installed LPCXpresso version 4.0.6 [Build 152] on a Windows NT machine.
I also had no problems getting this working on a different machine running Windows 7.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows NT is not a supported platform for LPCXPresso IDE - you need to be running Windows XP (or later). A full list of supported platforms is given on the LPCXpresso IDE download site

I suspect that this could well be the cause of the problems that you are seeing. The fact that you see a Linux style pathname in your build log is definitely suspicious...
-I"/home/nxp/Desktop/linuxtest1/CMSISv1p30_LPC17xx/inc"
I certainly don't see any problems building this example set here (on Windows 7).

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nsalzman on Wed Sep 21 11:08:04 MST 2011
No problem, it's fairly simple.  Startup LPCXpresso, create new workspace, use the import function to import all of the files from the archive mcb1700.code.bundle.lpc1769.lpcxpresso.zip

I then try and build any of the projects in the archive and get the make error message posted earlier.  One difference I notice between the computer that fails and the computer that works is that the failing computer has the following line when running "make all"

-I"D:\projects\lpcxpresso\samples\1769\lpcx\CMSISv2_LPC17xx\inc"

This is not a directory on my computer, and I believe that this is the source of the problem but I don't know how to tell the compiler to look for this file in the appropriate directory.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Tue Sep 20 23:56:40 MST 2011
That is not make crashing. That is make reporting that an error occurred during the build. The error being reported is the compiler reporting that one of the include files can't be found.

Looking at your output, I would guess the that CMSIS project is not in your workspace. If you imported the samples, you must have deliberately excluded some projects, because they all work for me.

If you want further help, you will need to tell us exactly what you did to get the sample project failing like this - step by step, from a clean workspace.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by atomicdog on Tue Sep 20 21:47:03 MST 2011

Quote:
Within the IDE, I have no trouble locating the file or linking to it via the include in cr_startup_lpc176x.c

Don't you mean [B]cr_startup_lpc17.c[/B] ?

Quote:
../src/cr_startup_lpc17.c:49:28

0 Kudos