cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB LPC Link connection problem, Win XP 32bit

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jconradt on Sat Jan 08 16:23:11 MST 2011
Hi everyone!

After several years with LPC2103/06 I am now in the transition to continue working with LPCXpresso 1769 on my laptop (Lenovo X301), Windows XP 32bit, SP3. I have spent quite some time trying to get the LPCXpresso IDE to connect to LPC-Link. Ultimately it seems that 2 of my laptop's build-in USB ports do not work, but the third port does work. Identical setup, same driver, etc.

More details:
My laptop has two side-ways USB ports; when connected to either one of these ports the LPC-link shows up as a "USB Device with DFU Capabilities" in the Device Manager; but when starting a "Debug Session" I get a message "Timeout waiting for LPC-Link to initialize." The logfile is attached below.

In contrast, when connected to the one USB port on the rear, everything works well. Again, I see a "USB Device with DFU Capabilities" in the Device Manager; and here, when starting a Debug session, the "USB Device" vanishes and instead two new devices show up in the section "Human Interface Devices" (these new devices DO NOT show up when connected to the sideways USB ports, as described in the paragraph above).

So yes, "in principle" I can get the board working; however, the rear-port is really inconvenient to reach --- so I am wondering if anyone here has an idea how to get the other two ports working? Maybe some timeout issue in the driver?

I have found reports of a similar problem in another thread in this board; however the conclusion was that this particular USB controller was not supported. Here the USB controller is fine (as the rear port works well). Any ideas?

If that is helpful I can inspect the "internal" configuration of USB in my laptop, but I would have to search for a software tool to display that.

Thanks for any help!!

Jorg

PS: Yes, I have tried different cables, rebooted several times and I followed all the suggestions from this thread:
http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=140&highlight=Timeout+waiting+for+LPC-Link+to+initiali...
-- no luck yet...
0 Kudos
11 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Thu Apr 21 22:13:05 MST 2011

Quote: darciop76
I've installed the toolchain in a win7 pc box and got everything working just fine. On the other hand I got the same problem described in this thread when I tried it on win7 running over vmware in a macbook. Lpc-Link doesn't initialize due timeout.

The problem you are experiencing is not quite the same as described in this thread.

Your problem has to do with VMware.  See if this helps you.

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/DebugAccessChip
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by darciop76 on Thu Apr 21 12:34:02 MST 2011
I've installed the toolchain in a win7 pc box and got everything working just fine. On the other hand I got the same problem described in this thread when I tried it on win7 running over vmware in a macbook. Lpc-Link doesn't initialize due timeout.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Mar 09 00:55:29 MST 2011

Quote: dandumit
difference for me it's that it's not working at all in no one of usb ports...
I understand that for @jconradt it's working on rest of ports...

Can you confirm if you mean that LPCXpresso is generally not working for you, or if you are seeing the DFUAPP errors that jconradt reported?

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dandumit on Wed Mar 09 00:44:29 MST 2011
difference for me it's that it's not working at all in no one of usb ports...
I understand that for @jconradt it's working on rest of ports...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dandumit on Tue Mar 08 11:50:17 MST 2011
Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you found a solution ?
How can we invite NXP_Europe to help us ?

Kind Regards,
DAniel
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Jan 11 17:12:44 MST 2011
NXP_Europe does monitor these boards, but I doubt they can provide a solution for you. The software works without trouble on one port of your computer. I suspect the difference is the non-working ports are associated with a different host controller and/or use different host drivers. You should first see if Windows driver updates are available for the host controller you're trying to use. Sorry we couldn't help.

Quote: jconradt
Hi Code Red Support,

thanks again for your reply. Is "NXP_Europe" reading this board? Would you have any idea whom to contact?

Thanks, Jorg

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jconradt on Tue Jan 11 16:38:10 MST 2011
Hi Code Red Support,

thanks again for your reply. Is "NXP_Europe" reading this board? Would you have any idea whom to contact?

Thanks, Jorg
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sat Jan 08 21:42:06 MST 2011
It looks like the DFUAPP utility is unable to complete the operation, possibly due to a hardware or OS driver issue. The DFU utility itself is NXP software, and Code Red doesn't maintain it. Perhaps NXP_Europe could weigh in.

note that I receive slightly different error messages for the different Probes (all logfiles in attachment)

LPCXpressoWin.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
---> DFUState: An error has occurred. Awaiting the DFU_CLRSTATUS request.
DFU Get Status successful
[COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: No error condition present.[/COLOR]
DFU Clear Status successful
Close Device[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/INDENT]LPCXpressoHS.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
[COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: Received DFU_DNLOAD with wLength = 0, but device does not think it has all of the data yet.[/COLOR]
Close Device
[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT]LPCXpressoFS.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Get State successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]---> DFUState: An error has occurred. Awaiting the DFU_CLRSTATUS request.[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Get Status successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: No error condition present.[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]---> DFUState: An error has occurred. Awaiting the DFU_CLRSTATUS request.[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Clear Status successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Close Device[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][/INDENT]

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jconradt on Sat Jan 08 19:36:34 MST 2011
note that I receive slightly different error messages for the different Probes (all logfiles in attachment)

LPCXpressoWin.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
[COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: No error condition present.[/COLOR]
Close Device[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/INDENT]LPCXpressoHS.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
[COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: Received DFU_DNLOAD with wLength = 0, but device does not think it has all of the data yet.[/COLOR]
Close Device
[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT]LPCXpressoFS.enc:[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Get State successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Get Status successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Red]---> DFUStatus: No error condition present.[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFU Clear Status successful[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]Close Device[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=Blue]
[/COLOR][/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jconradt on Sat Jan 08 19:26:34 MST 2011
Hi CodeRedSupport,

thanks for the super-fast reply! I really appreciate that.

Unfortunately, my problem persists.

-) The "USB Device with DFU Capabilities" shows up in the "Device Manager" no matter which port I use. This is good news.

-) When plugged into the back of my laptop (the "good" USB port) I can use any one of the three "Probes" to turn the device into a "LPC-Link Debug Probe v1.1" or into two "HID"-Interfaces. That works well.

-) However, when plugged into either one of the the USB ports at the side, my LPCXpresso shows up as "USB Device with DFU Capabilities"; but *neither one* of those three Probes show any effect. When started as:
         [INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFUAPP /f LPCXpresso<XX>.enc /tl 250[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue] [/COLOR][/FONT]the Device Manager only briefly refreshes, but the LPCXpresso still shows up "USB Device with DFU Capabilities".

-) When experimenting with the timeout parameter (the "/tl" I assume?), as e.g. in
         [INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFUAPP /f LPCXpresso<XX>.enc /tl 10000[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue] [/COLOR][/FONT]nothing changes except the Device Manager refreshes later (after around 10sec).

-) Yes, I have power-cycled (unplugged) the LPCXPresso after every trial!

-) Looking into the log file:
          [INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]DFUAPP /f LPCXpressoFS.enc /tl 1000 /l l.txt[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue]      type l.txt[/COLOR][/FONT]
[/INDENT] I find[INDENT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Blue][...]
Download Block Nb 13 (2048 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
---> DFUState: Device has received a block and is waiting for the host to solicit the status via DFU_GETSTATUS.
---> DFUStatus: No error condition present.
---> DFUState: Device is processing a download operation. Expecting DFU_DNLOAD requests.
Download Block Nb 14 (1544 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
---> DFUState: Device has received a block and is waiting for the host to solicit the status via DFU_GETSTATUS.
---> DFUState: Device is processing a download operation. Expecting DFU_DNLOAD requests.
Download Block Nb 15 (0 Bytes)
DFU Get State successful
Close Device
[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT]So my computer downloads stuff, but only at the very end an error occurs.

Any further suggestions how to experiment with the "Probes" or other settings?

Thanks!

Jorg
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sat Jan 08 18:24:09 MST 2011
The LPCXpresso IDE uses the scripts in <install>\bin\Scripts to either download the LPC-Link software, or confirm a LPC-Link connection is active. Different software probes are selected for use depending on the Windows OS version detected. The available probes are LPCXpressoFS.enc (HID full speed), LPCXpressoHS.enc (HID high speed), and LPCXpressoWIN.enc (WinUSB). Although either one of these probes should work in theory, in practice Code Red has had varying success depending on the Windows version.

The first thing to do is connect your LPCXpresso directly to your desired port and verify the DFU device appears in the Device Manager (i.e. "USB Device with DFU Capabilities"). Next, select a probe to download. The idea here is to experiment with the DFUAPP timeout value to find one which works reliably. You can base this experiment by using the same DFUAPP command-line as found in the bootLPCXpresso script. If you find you need to use a timeout value higher than the 250 ms default, try downloading the LPCXpressoFS.enc probe. This is the default selection for Windows XP, and is appropriate for a port which is not high speed capable. You'll need to power-cycle the LPCXpresso for each DFU attempt, in order to reboot the DFU device.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport

Hi everyone!

After several years with LPC2103/06 I am now in the transition to continue working with LPCXpresso 1769 on my laptop (Lenovo X301), Windows XP 32bit, SP3. I have spent quite some time trying to get the LPCXpresso IDE to connect to LPC-Link. Ultimately it seems that 2 of my laptop's build-in USB ports do not work, but the third port does work. Identical setup, same driver, etc.

More details:
My laptop has two side-ways USB ports; when connected to either one of these ports the LPC-link shows up as a "USB Device with DFU Capabilities" in the Device Manager; but when starting a "Debug Session" I get a message "Timeout waiting for LPC-Link to initialize." The logfile is attached below.

In contrast, when connected to the one USB port on the rear, everything works well. Again, I see a "USB Device with DFU Capabilities" in the Device Manager; and here, when starting a Debug session, the "USB Device" vanishes and instead two new devices show up in the section "Human Interface Devices" (these new devices DO NOT show up when connected to the sideways USB ports, as described in the paragraph above).

So yes, "in principle" I can get the board working; however, the rear-port is really inconvenient to reach --- so I am wondering if anyone here has an idea how to get the other two ports working? Maybe some timeout issue in the driver?

I have found reports of a similar problem in another thread in this board; however the conclusion was that this particular USB controller was not supported. Here the USB controller is fine (as the rear port works well). Any ideas?

If that is helpful I can inspect the "internal" configuration of USB in my laptop, but I would have to search for a software tool to display that.

Thanks for any help!!

Jorg

PS: Yes, I have tried different cables, rebooted several times and I followed all the suggestions from this thread:
http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=140&highlight=Timeout+waiting+for+LPC-Link+to+initiali...
-- no luck yet...

0 Kudos