Newbie questions, LPCOpen, CMSIS? What to use? what to learn?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions, LPCOpen, CMSIS? What to use? what to learn?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perigonza on Thu Dec 18 12:57:32 MST 2014
Hi all!

Subject says most of it. I'm new to NXP and getting a bit lost. I'm coming from arduino and similar systems trying to take the next step onto my uC knowledge.

But I'm getting lost with so many differences and so little information. I do not understand if I have to use CMSIS (the standard way as I understand) or LPCOpen to program the uC (lpc15xx in my case). I'm looking for any tutorials, books or whatever place to find information on how to begin.

I can not find any refference on the library/libraries, no user guide on how to program the thing ... it all seems different to regular ARM way of doing things .. I'm tryting to program in c languaje.

As you can see I'm pretty frustrated, any help on where to go next is really welcome.

Thanks to all in advance,

Pedro
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by yarshevich on Tue Feb 17 15:51:19 MST 2015
Yep. Bit confusing.
But there is a link to the documentation on the same page where you download LPCOpen examples for your chip family. Just keep reading the table :)

Use free LPCXpresso studio.
Then you'll need to download LPCOpen projects for any board that uses the closest chip you have.
And, finally, the documentation (same table row as your LPCOpen examples, just a few columns to the right).
Now you have all you need to jump-start.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by 1234567890 on Sat Jan 03 03:16:18 MST 2015
Well, indeed extension and bug fixing of LPCOpen (and the corresponding documentation) for the 'elderly' parts of the LPC11xx familie is obviously not done, e.g.look at http://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/lpc11xx-gpio-driver-link-docs-missed

Although LPCOpen contains parts of the missed things (e.g. GPIO), but it has not found its way in the documentation.
And USB is missed completely (doc and driver).

The existing part of the documentation you should have already found (http://www.lpcware.com/system/files/lpcopen_docs_v2_00a_11xx.zip).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wanders on Fri Jan 02 10:27:43 MST 2015
Y'know, I'm in pretty much the same position as the Original Poster. I'm starting with a LPCXpresso board based on the LPC11u14 (which, by the way, is really a fantastic hardware development platform even if it is "obsolete"). I've done all the things in the second post. Really.

What is missing for me is any kind of documentation on LPCOpen 2.0 code. Where is the documentation for the USB libraries (whether flash or ROM)? Do I really have to read example code with no documentation to figure out how the USB library works? Now, THAT'S an unprofessional situation in which I find myself, if true.

So, if it does indeed exist, WTF is the documentation for the LPCOpen 2.0 library?

Thanks in advance,

Wanders
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by 1234567890 on Sun Dec 28 13:13:59 MST 2014
What's wrong with the first reply???
It can't be much easier! (Nearly) all your requested codes are there.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Jantje7600 on Sun Dec 28 09:52:07 MST 2014
I know exactly what you are talking about... If someone could just make a book explaining all of this or make a tutorial (with complete codes of PWM,DAC,ADC etc.) it would have been great.

ARM microcontrollers are widely used and I know for sure there are million experts but I didn't really found any good tutorials either...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perigonza on Fri Dec 19 07:07:24 MST 2014
thanks r2d2, appreciate your support.

That is what I'm actually doing, learning by doing, as I find no proper training anywhere. I'll manage to learn, I've done it before, but it is still frustrating to have no real support in the way (in the form of books, tutorials or whatever means of modern training ..).

Never mind, thanks again for the support.

Pedro
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Thu Dec 18 14:44:49 MST 2014
LPCOpen documentation at

http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/lpcopen-software-development-platform-lpc15xx-packages

is limited  :((

LPC15xx is a new family, so you'll not find a lot of LPCOpen samples  :(

Anyway, a good way to start is to use available samples and learn how / which registers are used.

LPCOpen is including CMSIS and should support you with the majority of register names  :bigsmile:

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by perigonza on Thu Dec 18 14:27:30 MST 2014

Quote: R2D2

Quote: perigonza
...any help on where to go next is really welcome.

-Download and install LPCXpresso [color=#f00]DONE[/color]
-Download and import LPCOpen [color=#f00]DONE[/color]
-Download User manual and Data sheet and read them (3-4 times) [color=#f00]DONE (not 5 times thouh...)[/color]
-Start with LPCOpen samples and learn how to flash / debug your target.[color=#f00]DOING[/color]

That's not too difficult, but it's not done in 5 minutes  :((

Thanks for hte fast response. Not that I'm trying to find any shortcuts, actaully I'm asking for information to learn. Still don't know if I am suposed to use the CMSIS approach or where to find a reference guide for the LPCopen library (or API or whatever it is ...)

I'll keep reading the user manual and datasheet, maybe the light strikes me :) (or the force ...)

Pedro
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Thu Dec 18 13:14:04 MST 2014

Quote: perigonza
...any help on where to go next is really welcome.

-Download and install LPCXpresso
-Download and import LPCOpen
-Download User manual and Data sheet and read them (3-4 times)
-Start with LPCOpen samples and learn how to flash / debug your target.

That's not too difficult, but it's not done in 5 minutes  :((

0 Kudos