Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCOpen for LPC1768 (CodeRed RDB1768)?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by crypton on Sun Mar 22 07:50:46 MST 2015
Greetings!

I have acquired a CodeRed evaluation board RDB1768v2r3 which uses the LPC1768FBD100 chip from NXP.
I have managed to get example codes under LPC1768  to run in LPCXpresso IDE v7.6.2_326 but with CMSIS library/(ies), although LPCOpen is now preferred software platform.

Have I understood correctly that currently LPCOpen doesn't have examples for LPC1768 to be used also on my eval. board? I can only use the CMSIS based examples?
Or is there some variant's that could be used from LPCOpen? I'd like to use the 'most updated' variant to try and learn programming the LPC.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Sun Mar 22 17:04:03 MST 2015

Quote: crypton
Are there any tutorial for step-by-step walkthrough f.i. blinking a LED or smth? Because currently the whole system initialization sources and the overhead created after project building (by the board.h I guess) forms a lot of confusion on what is minimally needed to get certain functionality.

No. There are a few videos:

http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/OM13000.html

...would love to see a very clear example how a system is initialized and configured to get certain functionality for minimal code.

I would love to see that, too  :D

Unfortunately LPC17xx is a modern chip with PLL setup. More options, but more stuff to learn. So the usual way to learn how it works is to use an example. Find the setup and try to understand the User Manual   :O

A simple LED example without PLL setup wouldn't help you to understand the basics of the chip (like clock setup)...

LPCOpen isn't very different from good old CMSIS. It's just using 2 libraries (chip and board) and it's a little bit different to find out, what's configured where...

In general I would recommend to start with a working sample and try to understand how this chip is working. After reading the User Manual 3-5 times things will become clearer  :)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by crypton on Sun Mar 22 15:58:59 MST 2015
Are there any tutorial for step-by-step walkthrough f.i. blinking a LED or smth? Because currently the whole system initialization sources and the overhead created after project building (by the board.h I guess) forms a lot of confusion on what is minimally needed to get certain functionality.

And for me periph_blinky doesn't build.
../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot open output file periph_blinky.axf: Invalid argument

For clarity I currently prefer the CMSIS examples but would love to see a very clear example how a system is initialized and configured to get certain functionality for minimal code. No need to setup I2C f.i just to blink a LED...

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Sun Mar 22 09:17:42 MST 2015

There's explicitly 1788 and 1769 and I have no experience on their compatibility for RDB1768 board.

LPC1769 is a 120MHz version of 100MHz LPC1768, but LPCOpen1769 is working with 100MHz, so LPCOpen for
'LPCXpresso LPC1769 board' is a good point to start  :)

LPC1788 is a different MCU  :O

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Sun Mar 22 09:17:20 MST 2015

There's explicitly 1788 and 1769 and I have no experience on their compatibility for RDB1768 board.

LPC1769 is a 120MHz version of 100MHz LPC1768, but LPCOpen1769 is working with 100MHz, so LPCOpen for
'LPCXpresso LPC1769 board' is a good point to start  :)

LPC1788 is a different MCU  :O

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by crypton on Sun Mar 22 09:00:02 MST 2015
Well not sure that there is smth wrong with them. Thus the question.  :)

I know now that 1768 and 1769 difference is the frequency rating. So Maybe I need to accommodate the clocks for 1768 but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I have checked the LPCXpresso installation folder for all of the example codes and 1769 situates there too.
There's no Readme for the projects though to get any glimpse on where it can be used additionally.

So from your answer I assume I could use the 1769, but do I need to make some adjustments?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Sun Mar 22 08:11:06 MST 2015

Have I understood correctly that currently LPCOpen doesn't have examples for LPC1768 to be used also on my eval. board?

What's wrong with:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/lpcopen-software-development-platform-lpc17xx-packages

:quest:
0 Kudos