cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC824 not debuggable after first time

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Thu Oct 16 11:45:28 MST 2014
I recently built a breakout board for LCP824. I tried to built a openC application and that loaded on the board via LCPexpresso V1 debug board.
I was able to breakpoint the code etc.

I then tried to run the 812 sample application (periph_blinky). I changed the MCU to LPC824 in the settings and then I got following error:
02: Failed on connect
  02: Failed on connect
  Target marked as not debuggable.
  Emu(0): Connected. Was: None. DpID:     EDB6. Info: WIN64HS12

Now I cannot load anything onto the board - not even the openC project that I was loading earlier. I get the same error.

I tried the ISP method and vector catch but nothing fixes the issue. I am not able to erase the flash either via the GUI built into the LCPExpresso IDE.

How can I regain access to the CPU?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sat Apr 18 05:25:57 MST 2015
Suggest you use lpcopen for 824. 81x and 82x are not directly compatible.

Lpcopen contains simple blinkers and other more complex examples for you to start with
http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/lpcopen-software-development-platform-lpc8xx-packages
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jdesbonnet on Sat Apr 18 05:07:46 MST 2015
I've googled for a LPC824 simple example, and right now I can't find anything.  The LPC812 Blinky seems to have caused the problem mentioned in this thread.

Does anyone have a LPC824 friendly "Blinky" (or similar) I can use for my first flash programming test (I've got a LPC824 on a beadboard breakout with SWD and one LED). Once I get that far the rest will be easy (I think!). [Edit: I should say I'm using LPCXpresso (latest as of April 2015) and CMSIS library... not LPCOpen].

Thanks,
Joe
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nxpecosystem on Tue Oct 21 07:47:27 MST 2014
ESA just released version 8.26 which supports the LPC820 family (LPC822 and LPC824).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_Paul on Mon Oct 20 13:34:07 MST 2014
We have requested that ES Academy release the new version of FlashMagic with support for the LPC82x.  It should be available soon.  I do not have a specific availability date.
Regards
Paul
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Sun Oct 19 18:36:14 MST 2014
I am reading the specs and I know they are different.

I am not using that chip aka throwing it away. But I want to understand what caused this and can this happen again (without loading 812 code onto the chip).
If it happens again how can I know why its happening - instead of guessing since ISP is definitely not fixing it.

When can I expect flash magic to support 824?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sun Oct 19 13:29:08 MST 2014
Selecting the processor in the IDE does little more than define the memory map and instruction set to generate for, when building. If you provide the right libraries you can compile any code whatsoever. The code will compile whatever you specify.

Yes, an 812 and 824 are different chips... Why not read the user guides and find out for yourself?

It is highly unlikely that you fried the chip, you just need to get ISP active. I would guess that the clock setup is wrong and that is stopping the chip from running. If you can't get it working, throw it away and get another one, but don't run code for a different chip on it. 81x and 82x are different branches of the same family. They are similar but not completly compatible, as you have discovere the hard way.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Sun Oct 19 13:18:42 MST 2014
I have tried ISP multiple times as I have mentioned in the log.
I tried to run the NXP provided blinky app after changing the MCU to 824. Has NXP provided code that is not scalable on chips within the same arch? Can I fry the chip by running wrong code it and no warning/error will be generated by the IDE.
IDE knows I am running on 824 so why would it compile and load a code that can make the chip defunct? That too without any warning what so ever?? Does that mean, if I have a bug/typo in my code(that I wrote for 824) I can make the chip defunct?

I can generate my open c code from IDE. That code has just i++ in the main in a while. When I generate that code I specify 824 processor.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sun Oct 19 11:16:36 MST 2014
Well, an 824 is not and 812... Don't try to run 812 code on an 824.

The way to recover is to get it into ISP mode, as described in the recovery FAQ we provided a link to several posts ago. Make sure you correctly follow the instructions, and, unless you have fried your chip, you will recover it. In ISP mode the debugger can regain access and no need to erase the chip.

BTW: what is openc? Do you mean LPCOpen?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Sun Oct 19 10:32:57 MST 2014
Yes I have.
I have multiple of these breakout boards. I can switch them into the breadboard and the one that did not get the 812 code works (multiple of them work).
NOTE: this board was working when I loaded the openC code into it and it worked multiple times. I went dead as soon as I loaded 812 code (with 824 processor selected) on it.

I think I need a way to erase the flash.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sat Oct 18 14:51:42 MST 2014
Have you checked that your debug cable is the right way round?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Sat Oct 18 10:26:39 MST 2014
I have looked at that FAQ and gone through the process of ISP and vector catch and it did not fix.
Flash magic does not seem to support LPC824 right now. So I cannot erase the flash to get started again.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Fri Oct 17 11:06:33 MST 2014
Suggest youread this, which explains how you got in this situation and ways to recover...
http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/regaining-debug-access
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by effihome on Fri Oct 17 09:51:34 MST 2014
Hi,
I checked CRP was not enabled.
If it was - how can I erase the flash since flashmagic does not support 82X devices.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_Paul on Fri Oct 17 08:53:25 MST 2014
Hello
Is it possible that CRP was enabled when you built your openC application?
Note that if CRP was enabled in flash, you would continue to be able to debug until the device has gone through a power cycle.

Paul
0 Kudos