What about having a LPC8xx variant for power conversion applications?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about having a LPC8xx variant for power conversion applications?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rayhofmann on Mon Feb 23 00:29:36 MST 2015
Sorry, but i am just overwhelmed by these thousands of slightly different ac/dc & dc/dc controllers&converters and i have a hard time finding what i need, getting it to do what i want and finally avoiding undocumented pitfalls like hiccup mode triggering falsely and not being quantitatively specified in the DS.

So i am designing a LPC822 into a 3 channel flyback converter. One channel having 24-48V input giving isolated 12V10W out and two channels with the same input having a isolated 4W led lighting output.

So far the LPC8xx with its small size, low price and SCT is the best fit i could find, but what about some changes to make it more attractive in this kind of applications?

- multi channel comparators (4?) for short circuit protection of the switch and current mode cycle termination having two selectable levels, not just one comparator with one level
- increased timer frequency to 100MHz, get higher PWM resolution
- a specification of the A/D sampling window and duration
- little faster A/D or maybe 10Bit but faster with the same type or two A/Ds
- two SCTs
- reset input that is always active enabling a "emergency reset" for short circuit detection, etc
- Some code building blocks / appnotes for flyback, step-down, etc.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Tue Feb 24 03:06:34 MST 2015

Quote: starblue

Quote: R2D2
They are not releasing LPC1600  :quest:

What would that be?  Cortex-M3, but what else?

NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today announced that it has completed its acquisition of Quintic’s Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE)

BT and as LPC16Sxx with hardware-accelerated encryption 
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Tue Feb 24 02:46:49 MST 2015

Quote: R2D2

What would that be?  Cortex-M3, but what else?

If they don't release LPC830, maybe LPC7300?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Mon Feb 23 09:43:21 MST 2015

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if they announce an LPC83x tomorrow, when Embedded World starts in Nuremberg.

:~  :~

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Mon Feb 23 09:22:28 MST 2015
The LPC82x is brand new. I'd bet there is more to come in the LPC8xx family.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if they announce an LPC83x tomorrow, when Embedded World starts in Nuremberg.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rayhofmann on Mon Feb 23 05:36:02 MST 2015
The thing about MCUs is to find the tradeoff between complexity (cost) and marketshare which then leads to profit.

As i said, the LPC8.. is already quite capable and flexible for what i want.

The power conversion controller chip market is big and diverse, from digikey:

PMIC - Voltage Regulators - DC DC Switching Controllers (10131 items) Integrated Circuits (ICs)
PMIC - AC DC Converters, Offline Switchers (2868 items) Integrated Circuits (ICs)

NXP may just when they add a new member to the LPC8.., what they will do anyway, decide to add a small bit of silicon and engineering to expand its potential market, just as they always do.

One thing is, indeed, that the special power conversion application share is only a fraction of the total market and engineers may be reluctant to design in a MCU there, but for motor control it is already done.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Mon Feb 23 02:47:00 MST 2015
I don't know much about the economics of making chips, but I am sure NXP have to make millions of devices to make any profit, so they have to make a single variant (family?) cover a lot of different markets. Do you think there would be a big enough market for your product?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rayhofmann on Mon Feb 23 02:29:23 MST 2015

Take a look at the LPC15xx.

I did, it is a lot more expensive (3x), has no small package (5x5mm) and has too much horsepower for the power conversion applications like i am thinking of, but still the timer resolution with 72MHz isn't great.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Mon Feb 23 02:04:41 MST 2015
Take a look at the LPC15xx.
0 Kudos