Can't upload to LPC824 on the LPCXpresso board from EA.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload to LPC824 on the LPCXpresso board from EA.

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Wed Oct 15 02:52:03 MST 2014
As the title says.

I'm not able to upload anything to it. No matter what I do with the USB disk, whether via command-line or drag-and-drop, the flashing fails with a "fail.txt" message of "SWD ERROR". Tried on both Mac OSX and Linux with exactly the same result. Is there an updated image available for the on-board LPC11U35 programmer? The
mbed.htm file reports version 0203, code 082402030C48B51A332E2C03.

-jcw
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Mon Apr 20 01:41:57 MST 2015
Did you stop OSX writing additional spotlight/trash files to the drive, as described here?
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6707/how-to-stop-os-x-from-writing-spotlight-and-trash-file...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Mon Apr 20 01:34:12 MST 2015
Not working for me. Did the 20150303_lpc11u35_lpc824_if.bin firmware update, but when I upload via D&D, I get a FAIL.TXT file with "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU" in it.

Ok, Mr. LPCXpresso Support, I'll try the MBED forum. Does this mean EA is no longer supporting Mac OSX on their boards?

-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Apr 20 00:05:55 MST 2015
What issue specifically? We have not tried this out here, but the reports on the mbed forums appear to be that the latest Yosemite update does improve mbed compatibility generally:

http://developer.mbed.org/forum/mbed/

Anyway, if you are encountering issues still using the latest firmware issued by the mbed team...

http://developer.mbed.org/handbook/Firmware-LPCXpresso824-MAX

you might do better raising this on the mbed forums as they don't tend to hang around on LPCware.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Sat Apr 18 12:40:45 MST 2015
Is there progress on this issue, now that the MBED code has been updated and the new Mac OSX 10.10.3 update also seems to have been improved w.r.t. emulated USB drives?

-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Fri Oct 31 06:13:42 MST 2014
For the record: the failure to mount on Win 8.1 was due to a faulty micro-USB cable. One puzzle solved...

-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Oct 31 05:02:37 MST 2014
We are in discussion with the ARM mbed team on the mass storage device on Mac issue.

But with regards to Windows 8.1, can you confirm that you have installed the mbed vcom driver?

And with regards to connecting via the debug connector, did you use either close jumper JP1 or else hold down reset whilst powering up the board? Please read the LPCXpresso824-MAX user guide available from the "Variants" table on the below web page for more details..

http://www.lpcware.com/content/devboard/lpcxpresso-max-developer-boards

And yes, there are differences between the original LPC812 and the new LPC824 board.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Fri Oct 31 04:06:41 MST 2014
I'm still not getting anywhere with this. Plugged into a clean Windows 8.1 laptop, and there's no volume to drag and drop.

It looks like this new board is completely different from the LPC812 one, w.r.t. the MBED interface, USB disk, and CMSIS support. And so far, I haven't been able to upload anything to it, not even through its JTAG connector.

-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Thu Oct 16 04:55:20 MST 2014
Thanks - I've been using command-line all along. The "dd" sounds like a good idea, but it still ends in the SWD ERROR fail.txt file for me. I've tried deleting the .Trashes, .metadata_never_index, as well as the .fseventsd and the "System Volume Information" folders, but there's no difference. If I delete them, a subsequent "dd" is not picked up (even though the firmware.bin file sits there, with the current date).

Is there a way to unmount/remount perhaps, without the Finder doing all sorts of thing as part of the automount recognition? I didn't find anything obvious in the "diskutil" help.

I also have an LPC800 board (i.e. 812) to compare with, if that helps. They seem to work differently. No idea why.

And lastly, I'd be happy to re-flash the LPC11U35 if you want me to try alternative or newer firmwares.

-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Oct 15 08:10:15 MST 2014
Mac OS X (and potentially Linux) write to mass storage devices slightly differently to Windows which can cause 'corruption' with regards to how the mbed boot loader is expecting the binary image to appear on the mass storage device (extra files etc).

You can normally prevent this by avoiding the use of Finder, and instead use Terminal.

A straight 'cp' command in a terminal works for Mountain Lion, but due to changes to the way Mavericks writes to mass storage devices, try using...

dd if=periph_blinky.bin of=/Volumes/MBED/perip_blinky.bin conv=notrunc

(replace periph_blinky.bin with the name of your bin file)

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jcw on Wed Oct 15 04:13:10 MST 2014
Thank you for your reply. Neither topics mentioned solve it for me. I'm running the latest current Mac OSX system, not Yosemite.

Note that ST Micro's "Nucleo" boards work fine with MBED - USB upload, debugger, serial, everything.

Could you advise me where to best report this issue to move it forward?
Between LPCware, Embedded Artists, and MBED, I'm sort of being given the run-around...

Cheers,
-jcw
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Oct 15 03:18:09 MST 2014
This is not an issue per se with the LPCXpresso824 board, but rather that mbed generally (I believe) has issues with non-Windows platforms. There are various pieces of information on using Mac's with mbed on the mbed website, for example:

https://developer.mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/4568/
https://developer.mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/5149/

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos