LPCXpresso 7.5.0_254 not connecting via CMSIS-DAP to Embedded Artists LPC824 (OM13071) [solved]

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso 7.5.0_254 not connecting via CMSIS-DAP to Embedded Artists LPC824 (OM13071) [solved]

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Tue Jan 20 15:19:36 MST 2015
Hi all,
I can't connect to / debug an EA LPCXpresso824-MAX board.
  -I have updated the firmware on it to 20150116_lpc11u35_lpc824_if.bin [edit: this is beta, and may cause problems. Check versions.]
  -I have installed the mbed driver mbedWinSerial_16466.exe from the page at  http://developer.mbed.org/handbook/Windows-serial-configuration

I can save mbed programs to the mass storage device, and they work. I can also access the target board virtual (USB) serial ok (changed SJ9 from the default to the other position).

However, when I load example projects in LPCXpresso and start a debug session, the program compiles ok, and then IDE finds the debugger, (though the device name looks odd: )
Quote:
\\?\hid#vid_0d28&pid_0204&mi_03#8&971780d&0&0000#{  some_UUID  }

Then, I get this error:

Quote:
Error in final launch sequence
  Error: Error reported by server (redlinkserv.exe):

RedlinkAPI: Hardware interface transfer error
CMSIS-DAP has been terminated and will be restarted.
Please restart your debug session.
If the problem recurs, please power cycle your debug probe and restart LPCXpresso.

Error: Error reported by server (redlinkserv.exe):
If the problem recurs, please power cycle your debug probe and restart LPCXpresso.

I have of course restarted both the device and the IDE multiple times, in different orders.

Any thoughts? Is there a connection debugging process for CMSIS-DAP?

Thanks in advance
Wayne

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pba on Wed Dec 09 06:20:40 MST 2015
Hi

I wanted to report the problem solved.
-Push the ISP-button
-Connect the LPC824-Board to USB (so that it shows mbed, if I recall correctly)
-Hit debug in LPCXpresso and wait till it actually starts programming the board
-Let go of the ISP button
Then LPCXpresso is able to program the MCU

(I had to try a few times to let go in the correct moment, otherwise I'd get "not recognized" errors.)

The longer explanation from an E-Mail I received, probably from some version of http://www.nxp.com/documents/other/LPCXpresso_Getting_Started_User_Guide.pdf :

"
6.2.6Recovery of board
After playing around with the LPCXpresso board, especially when trying out new PLL settings, reconfiguring the SWDIO/SWDCLK pin functions, disabling AHBCLKCTRL bits, or trying power down modes, the board may be disabled and no longer enter debug mode. This is caused by code on the on-board flash that incorrectly disables the system clocks or the debug port soon after reset before the debugger can connect to the core.
The easiest solution to this is to load a working project into LPCXpresso, ground the ISP pin (see the chip User’s Manual for details) and then try to enter debug mode.
Grounding the ISP pin during reset will put the target MCU into In-System Programming
(ISP) mode. It will wait for a command through the serial port or the USB port. This temporarily prevents the troublesome code in flash from starting.
Although ISP is
designed to enable serial and USB updates, while ISP is running, the LPCXpresso toolchain is able to connect to the Cortex core and reprogram the flash.
After the flash is
reprogrammed, disconnect the ISP pin (pull it high or allow it to float) and stop debugging. Now you should be able to debug code again.
"

Thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pba on Tue Dec 01 06:43:37 MST 2015

Quote: lpcxpresso-support
So which board have you got - the original LPC812 version or the later LPCXpresso824-MAX board?

https://www.lpcware.com/content/devboard/lpcxpresso-max-developer-boards

And just to confirm, you don't have a jumper fitted on JP1?

Finally, if you disconnect the board from your PC, open " Device and Printers" (via the Start button, or else via Control Panel), then connect the board again - how does the board appear in "Devices and Printers"?

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support

Hi,

thank you very much. Off course I forget the most important information... It is the LPCXpresso824-MAX  (LPC82x Xpresso v2/mbed) board. There is no jumper on JP1.

Normally it appears in mbed mode, but I also tried to put it in cmsis-dap mode with pushing ISP and Reset upon plugging it into the computer (where the drive is called "CRP-disabled") as well as just pressing ISP. Programming with LPCXpresso unfortunately works in none of these three modes.

Should you have any further questions, I'll be happy to share my findings to them.

Thank you very much for your help
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Dec 01 03:48:10 MST 2015
So which board have you got - the original LPC812 version or the later LPCXpresso824-MAX board?

https://www.lpcware.com/content/devboard/lpcxpresso-max-developer-boards

And just to confirm, you don't have a jumper fitted on JP1?

Finally, if you disconnect the board from your PC, open " Device and Printers" (via the Start button, or else via Control Panel), then connect the board again - how does the board appear in "Devices and Printers"?

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pba on Tue Dec 01 03:06:26 MST 2015
Hi, I followed all the procedures mentioned in this thread, including reinstalling the serial driver, (re)installing the origina firmware as pointed out above (I am not aware of anyone having tried to update it, though), trying all switch combinations while pulling and re-plugging the usb connection, trying to program the board in "MBED" Mode and in "CRP-Disabled" mode, but so far no luck. I updated LPCXpresso to 8.0.0 as recommended.
[img]http://up.picr.de/23854662wb.png[/img]

I would be very grateful for any further hints. (Windows 7, the board was also tested on another machine in the company with an older toolchain, also no luck)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Apr 10 00:48:00 MST 2015
So I have just tried updating an LPCXpresso824-MAX board to use the 221 beta firmware, and have managed to get a successful debug connection from LPCXpresso IDE on my Windows 7 setup (minimal testing only though at this stage).

Thus if it isn't working for you, I would suspect that maybe you haven't installed the mbed serial port driver?

From http://www.lpcware.com/content/devboard/lpcxpresso-max-developer-boards :

Quote:
Note: If running on Windows, you will need to install the mbed Windows serial port driver in order for the LPCXpresso-MAX boards' CMSIS-DAP debug link to be visible to the LPCXpresso IDE

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Apr 09 23:51:32 MST 2015
In the first place, I suggest that you downgrade your firmware back to the factory programmed version - which is the only version validated by NXP on this board.  You can get this from higher up this thread.

The 221 beta on the mbed website has been released by the mbed team and has not been validated by us. [I will check this out shortly though]

With regards to the errors you are seeing using Red Probe+, the most likely reason is that you have you cable plugged in the wrong way around. For more details see:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/target-marked-not-debuggable

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tvarghese on Thu Apr 09 21:00:06 MST 2015
I've upgraded to the latest firmware 0221 and not having any luck programming a OM13071 board.

I've even tried RedProbe+ with JP1 installed.

I always get the same error int console:

LPCXpresso Debug Driver v7.7 (Mar 31 2015 21:04:25 - crt_emu_cm3_gen build 93)
Failed on connect: Ep(01). Target marked as not debuggable.
Connected. Was: None. CpuID: 00000000. Info: FTV7X6SQA
Error 0: (null)
Last sticky: 0. AIndex: 0
No MemAp selected
No Speed test
Debug protocol: SWD Frequency 50 KHz. RTCK: Disabled. Vector catch: Enabled.
(100) Target Connection Failed

In the dialogs I see this:

02: Failed on connect
  02: Failed on connect
  Target marked as not debuggable.
  Emu(0): Connected. Was: None. CpuID: 00000000. Info: FTV7X6SQA

And

Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select extended-remote | crt_emu_cm3_gen -msg-port=55159 -g -mi -2 -pLPC824 -vendor=NXP -vc -e0 -flash-driver=LPC800_32.cfx
Error message from debugger back end:
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: No error.
  Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: No error.

Any suggestions for things to try? I've been working with micros for a *long* time and this is one of those cases where it seems I'm missing something really simple, but just can't figure it out.

TIA!

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Feb 09 01:15:09 MST 2015

Quote: waynemcl
Thanks. I have installed the factory firmware, and this seems to have solved the problem, I can now build, upload and debug on the 824-MAX using the CMSIS-DAP.

I had installed the newer firmware in response to earlier comments about CMSIS-DAP not working, and not checked the version numbers.

I'm glad that you are now up and running. We would appreciate a pointer to the comments about CMSIS-DAP not working that you refer to though. From a debug point of view, there are no issues with the firmware programmed into these boards at production.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Sun Feb 08 13:58:38 MST 2015
Thanks. I have installed the factory firmware, and this seems to have solved the problem, I can now build, upload and debug on the 824-MAX using the CMSIS-DAP.

I had installed the newer firmware in response to earlier comments about CMSIS-DAP not working, and not checked the version numbers.

Thanks for your time.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Feb 05 01:59:15 MST 2015
I've just re-read from the whole of this thread again looking for clues I might have missed previously, and noted that you mentioned installing the latest firmware. No official release of new firmware has actually been made, so I went and looked on the mbed website. And it looks like someone has released beta firmware (0211) at:

http://developer.mbed.org/handbook/Firmware-LPCXpresso824-MAX

So I tried this firmware, and can now replicate your problems. Thus the solution to your debug problems is simply to reprogram the firmware in that was programmed at production time. On the assumption that you didn't take a copy of this firmware when you programmed in the beta version, I have put it into the attached ZIP file. Just follow the instructions on the above web link to install this.

Please let us know if this solves your debug problem, and I'll follow up on this issue with the beta firmware.

Regards
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Wed Feb 04 15:18:52 MST 2015
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

The Mac is a separate device, a 7,1 iMac running mavericks.

On the PC, I've checked for those tasks before a debug connection, they're not present. I've tried different (shorter) USB cables. The board continues to accept .bin files from mbed.org and run them OK. I've put a 'scope on the 3v3 line of the board, and it seems good (no droop / glitches).

I've installed 7.6.2 and get the same error. Same regarding the tasks mentioned above. Same failure message.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Feb 04 03:28:49 MST 2015
It would also be worth installing the current LPCXpresso 7.6.2. Do you see the same behaviour?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Feb 04 03:26:14 MST 2015
I assume that your Mac is a physically different machine to the machine you were running VirtualBox on?

On your PC setup, device driver installation or a clash with the another USB device still seems the most likely explanation to your issues.

But on the Mac, no drivers need to be installed. And I've just double checked a LPCXpresso824-MAX board here on my MacbookPro running Yosemite with USB2 (direct and via a hub) - and again it just works.

Only other things I can think of to try would be before you try to start a debug connection, kill any tasks called:
- redlinkserv
- arm-none-eabi_gdb*
- crt_emu_*

and try a different USB cable!

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Tue Feb 03 19:50:33 MST 2015
How do I go about returning a possibly faulty LPC82x Xpresso V2 board?

Do I contact the vendor, or NXP support?

Thanks,
W
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Tue Jan 27 14:00:15 MST 2015
I've installed LPCXpresso 7.5.0 onto a mac running Mavericks to test this.

The project (RTOS Blinky) loads and compiles fine, but I get the same error "Error in final launch sequence" reported.

Quote:
Error: Error reported by server (redlinkserv):
Error: Error reported by server (redlinkserv):

I've tried direct USB(2) ports and via the keyboard hub (high current capability), no change. Is it possible I have a faulty device?

Thanks, W
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Sun Jan 25 16:20:22 MST 2015
Thanks, good spotting. I've stopped those processes, and the bluetooth headphones with media controls, and tried again. Unfortunately, I get the same error. I'll try again from my mac in the next few days.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sun Jan 25 14:55:26 MST 2015

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't believe I'm using a keyboard accelerator

Actually, you are. There are a bunch of tasks associated with the hp quick launch buttons. They all have qlb in their names. Don't know if this is causing your problems, but might be worth stopping them. Or perhaps trying another computer...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Sun Jan 25 14:25:15 MST 2015
I have attempted to get support over at Embedded Artists, but the FAQ says

"
Quote:
Where is the serial number for the LPCXpresso/MAX Board?

There is no serial number for the LPCXpresso/MAX boards since all support resources are available at NXPs LPCXpresso site.

http://www.lpcware.com/lpcxpresso

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by waynemcl on Sun Jan 25 14:14:51 MST 2015
Hi

Thanks, but I don't believe I'm using a keyboard accelerator, and I can access both the mass storage device and the composite serial device (terminal type application running on the 824-max) using mbed.org, so I son't think that's the problem. For completeness, the task list is attached.

regards
W
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Thu Jan 22 13:45:42 MST 2015
What else is running on your system? It could be that another app is grabbing the device? Perhaps a mouse or keyboard accelerator? Run tasklist and post the results.
0 Kudos