Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio DAC UDA1330

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by IanB on Mon Nov 23 10:05:02 MST 2015
Has anyone tried interfacing a UDA1330 audio DAC to the SPI port?

All the data sheet timing diagrams show BCLK as a continuous signal at a fixed frequency, usually 1/64 of MCLK;  but SPI would output it as a burst of 16 clocks which a gap at each end of the LRCLK frame. Doing this does not violate any of the timing specifications in the data sheet.

It works perfectly well on Wolfson DACs, but, alas, Wolfson is no more; having been taken over by Cirrus, who immediately discontinued all the nice Wolfson parts. And it doesn't work with Cirrus DACs.

(I would have liked to ask NXP technical support about this, but the registration page won't work on Safari; and you need to register before you could tell the webmaster of this problem!)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by IanB on Sun Jan 17 14:19:19 MST 2016
When Cirrus finally got their website working, I found that whilst the WM8726 was being discontinued, the almost-identical WM8761 wasn't; and Wolfson parts are all compatible with the SPI port.

I do know from experience that the UDA1361 A/D is compatible with the SPI port.

What RS means about the SPI interface is that you can set the parameters from it, not that you can (necessarily) send audio data that way.

Agreed about the price - 55p - that's buttons - Since the Cirrus takeover the WM8761 has gone from about 90p to £1.88 and Farnell and RS don't stock it.

For the quantity I needed, I'm glad I didn't have to redesign either pcb or software, but I ought to try the UDA1330 at that price, just to find out for the future.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by marksparks on Sun Jan 17 13:16:08 MST 2016
Did you get this DAC working on SPI?

Many thanks, I'd like to know if not.
RS-Online seem to think this is serial i2c/microwire/SPI
They are the cheapest out there, with a filter included.
0 Kudos