Is LPCOpen OK to incorporate into a GPL project???

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LPCOpen OK to incorporate into a GPL project???

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jdupre on Wed Nov 13 17:45:03 MST 2013
I'd like to add some functionality to U-Boot and am wondering if the LPCOpen library is really "open" for such use.  U-Boot is under the GPLv2.
Anyone here understand the licensing issues???

ARM's latest release of CMSIS has BSD licensing on the useful code.  Thus the mbed project has incorporated CMSIS into it's source.
(FYI: The current version of LPCOpen is using the previous version of CMSIS.)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Thu Nov 14 06:42:53 MST 2013
LPCOpen consists of many pieces of open source software, each with their own license (which may or may not be GPL compatible). For example, I think CMSIS has been made available on the Apache license (which is BSD-style, but not actually BSD). This is incompatible with GPL.

As a general rule, you cannot contribute somebody else software to another project and make it subject to different license unless the owner has given explicit permission.

One word answer - no.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Thu Nov 14 01:38:50 MST 2013
I would think that the clause "provided that it is used in conjunction with NXP Semiconductors microcontrollers" makes it incompatible.

I.e. the GPL license doesn't allow this kind of restriction.
0 Kudos