lpcware

Low power external memory on the LPC4357

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dennislumiad on Tue Jul 14 08:16:21 MST 2015
Hi all,

Currently I am working on a mobile low power pager that will be used in hospitals. To this end I have started with the LPC4357. However, it happens to be that it has not enough working memory. I have looked on the internet and came to the conclusion that either SRAM of DRAM can be used.

What i have learned is that SRAM has a lower power consumption when it not written so often. However, it is harder to make and therefore more expensive.

As about 16-32MB will be required, i thought it might be wise to go for SDRAM. I found the following: http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alliance-Memory/AS4C16M16S-7BCN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMti5BT4iPSEnVeWD45jS%2fiPhYe25H8%2fjPY%3d

My only concern is the energy consumption. Does anyone know how much more energy such an SDRAM memory uses compared to an SRAM; i see a lot of numbers in the datasheets but those do not really make sense to me. In principle there will be a 1200mAh battery in the pager.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Cheers,
Dennis

Outcomes