cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low power external memory on the LPC4357

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dennislumiad on Tue Jul 14 08:16:21 MST 2015
Hi all,

Currently I am working on a mobile low power pager that will be used in hospitals. To this end I have started with the LPC4357. However, it happens to be that it has not enough working memory. I have looked on the internet and came to the conclusion that either SRAM of DRAM can be used.

What i have learned is that SRAM has a lower power consumption when it not written so often. However, it is harder to make and therefore more expensive.

As about 16-32MB will be required, i thought it might be wise to go for SDRAM. I found the following: http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alliance-Memory/AS4C16M16S-7BCN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMti5BT4iPSEnVeWD45jS...

My only concern is the energy consumption. Does anyone know how much more energy such an SDRAM memory uses compared to an SRAM; i see a lot of numbers in the datasheets but those do not really make sense to me. In principle there will be a 1200mAh battery in the pager.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

Cheers,
Dennis
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dennislumiad on Wed Jan 06 04:46:22 MST 2016
We went for the ISSI IS42SM16400K. They claim that is is meant for low power mobile devices. We need this because we have running a lot of stuf on the device. I.e. Wi-Fi Stack, SIP Stack, Graphical Lib, Voice calling, Echo Cancellation, Video etc :)

Thanks for pointing this out optimization opportunity; we will take this into account!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TinaFray on Mon Dec 21 04:38:28 MST 2015
Hello.
You can reduce the level of energy consumption up to 25% by  means of  read
prefetching and write combining. Moreover, reductio can be achieved even with relatively small buffers.

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MarcVonWindscooting on Wed Jul 22 14:17:05 MST 2015
You shouldn't have placed this question in the 'news' forum  ;-)

I have (nearly) no experience with RAM and I have no idea what a SDRAM consumes but I really doubt, that a DRAM can be low power (a few uA) because it needs refreshing (=activity).
16-32MB are an awful lot more memory that LPC4357 onboard memory!
Look at a datasheet of CY62177 for example. That one gives you numbers of power consumption in power-down/standby.

I wonder, if you really need RAM. RAM consumes power for data retention. Why not FLASH memory? Data retention for free!

Marc
0 Kudos