cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC2214 Questions / Concerns - Comment Please

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by birdbren on Mon Mar 17 10:22:18 MST 2014
I expect that we will be using an NXP LPC2214 instead of the AT91SAM7x256. My original question was about the pin out on the IAR I-Jet which was answered by IAR's tech support.

My current questions are

1) Can I write to individual bits on a port or do I have to write to the whole port at once?

2) How portable is code between the LPC210x and say the LPC2109, LPC2214?

3) If I'm turning on an LED which uses 20ma or 30ma and I gang 2 port pins together will this damage the port pins drivers over time? I'm assuming that one pin is brought high or low before the other pin is brought to the same state, and therefore causes the pins to be overdriven.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Greg.Montgomery@Miranda.com on Thu Mar 27 10:38:54 MST 2014
I don't have a choice in selecting the micro which is used. The parent company dictates what we will use - which boils down to "hey here is this board program it" :exmark: 
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Greg.Montgomery@Miranda.com on Thu Mar 27 10:35:57 MST 2014
I was kind of hoping for the following:

1) In the following example I show how to put an individual pin to a logic level hi, and then I show how to set  an individual pin to a logic level low.

IO0SET_bit.P0_30 = 1; // Sets Port 0 pin 30 to a logic level high
IO0CLR_bit.P0_30 = 1; // Clears Port 0 pin 30 setting the pin to a low logic level.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LabRat on Tue Mar 18 04:30:27 MST 2014

Quote: whitecoe
As you are switching MCU families, why don't you make the jump to a Cortex-M based part ???  :~

Perhaps the new and cheap LPC15xx?

Parametric Search M3:

http://www.nxp.com/parametrics/56890/#/p=1,s=0,f=,c=,rpp=,fs=0,sc=,so=,es=
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by whitecoe on Tue Mar 18 04:11:42 MST 2014

Quote: birdbren
I expect that we will be using an NXP LPC2214 instead of the AT91SAM7x256.

One has to wondered why you are are looking at swapping from an old ARM7 based part from one Atmel, to an ARM7 based part from NXP? As you are switching MCU families, why don't you make the jump to a Cortex-M based part ???  :~

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Wouter on Tue Mar 18 03:35:54 MST 2014
Hi,

1) GPIOs in the LCP21xx/LPC22xx can be accessed in a number of different ways. They both support writing the whole port at once (using the IOPIN register) and setting/clearing individual pins (using the IOSET/IOCLR register). Refer to the GPIO chapter in the LPC21xx/LPC22xx UM for more details.

2) The LPC21xx and LPC22xx share the same user manual, implying they are very similar. They mostly differ in available peripherals and available memory. As long as the chips you're using have the peripherals your code is using, it should be very simple to port the code from one device covered in the mentioned UM to another.

3) You can combine port pins for higher current, as long as you provide a series resistor per pin to make sure the current is evenly distributed. Note that the LPC21xx/LPC22xx can only supply up to 4mA per pin: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC2131_32_34_36_38.pdf

Regards,
Wouter
0 Kudos