cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1110FD20 Uart Bootloader (ISP Mode)

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by folknology on Mon Apr 08 15:44:21 MST 2013

We have recently designed a board conaining a LPC1110FD20 among other things, during testing we figured we would try out using the ISP Bootloader over Uart as this enables the board firmware to be updated remotely via the afore mentioned uart. Unfortunately we have had zero sucess when testing with lpc2isp for example, even adjusting maxflashchunk sizes etc.. We tend to get bad CRC returns among other things (probably ram/stack corruptions). We always knew things would be tight on a device with only 1K Ram but recent test and calculations seem to indicate that what we are trying to do may actually be impossible, hence our complete failure to date, let me put it buy some more qualified folk such as yourselves.:

1) The bootloader (ISP Mode) uses low parts of the Ram itself (for ISP commands among others) as well as areas like the code read protection etc.. this means we can't use Ram below 0x10000300L basically the first 768 bytes!

2) The Bootloader flash commands use top 32 bytes and its stack adds up to 256 Bytes

<div>3) The minimum flash copy size chunk from Ram is 256 bytes</div>
<div>This all ads up to 768 + 32 + 256 + 256 = 1312 !</div>
<div>Oops, this appears to mean one cannot use the ISP bootloader over Uart with the LPC1110FD20</div>
<div>Is this correct? have we made a mistake? Please help, we seem to have wasted rather a lot of time finding this out the hard way...</div>
<div>regards</div>
<div>Al</div>
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by folknology on Sat Apr 13 08:57:21 MST 2013

Oh I have JTAG debuggers and xpresso links galore here, but this isn't for debugging, this is so the firmware can be simply updated in the field or remotely.

The boards sit on top of a linux based board, the whole idea is to be able to update the firmware from there using commandline tools like LPC2ISP and the uart.

regards

Al

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Sat Apr 13 07:46:54 MST 2013

Why do you want to use LPC2ISP?

Have you tried using JTAG for debugging?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by folknology on Fri Apr 12 14:16:41 MST 2013

Right some good news, I tried Flash magic and huzah it worked, thansk for the tip Leon. This means it's possible.

So now I have to figure out how it does it and what LPC2ISP doesn't do!

Any clues from NXP folk would helpful here, especially around the memory use by the Bootloader ..

regards

Al

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by folknology on Fri Apr 12 10:43:04 MST 2013

Hey Leon, fancy meeting you here!

Thanks for the response!

Yeah those new 81x serias look very cool, haven't yet found a good project for one, and this project needs the ADCs, hence the LPC111x.

Its interesting that you say the lpc810 woks with FlashMagic as the LPC side is the same for lpc2isp. (I haven't tried flashmagic BTW)

I do notice however that the LPC81X series have flash that has page sizes of 64 bytes and not 256 bytes which is the assumed smalles chunk size in UM10398 LPC11X user manual, which describes the ISP bootloader.

I wonder if the LPC1110F(H)D20 chips might have a smaller page size similar to the LPC81x, that would widen the possibilities and also maybe the Bootloader rom is loaded lower?

These are the sorts of questions I need some answers to..

regards

Al

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Fri Apr 12 07:27:43 MST 2013

Hello Al,

We must stop meeting like this!

I use Flash Magic with the LPC800 as it can't be loaded via SWD, like the LPC1110 (they both have only 1k of RAM). I've never used lpc2isp, have you tried Flash Magic? The ISP bootloader should work, and is the only to download code into it.

Leon

0 Kudos