cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unique identification of device - HCS08DZ60

ohanica
Contributor III
Dear all!

I've got the following question: Is there any possibility to uniquely identify a HCS08 device? I.e. is there any register, or serial number that I could somehow read out by SW?

In one system I'm using  5 to 10 devices for which I want to use the same SW, but the devices have to use different  IDs for CAN-communication. If possible I want to avoid a solution in HW (dip-switch or so) because of space available and cost issues...
Is there any possibility to get a  different data (e.g. serial num)  from each uC.

I'm using the HCS08DZ60 devices.

Thanks for your ideas, hints and tips,
Johannes

Added p/n to subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-05-15 07:41 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Bruce_andrew
Contributor I
I use the DZ60 too. I have a CAN Bootloader. As well as being able to load application firmware, it's also able to write a serial number to flash. We use the serial number to "randomise" the CAN device number, so that it's unique on the CANbus. The device number is stored in EEprom, so there's no hardware switch settings
0 Kudos

ohanica
Contributor III
Hello Bruce!

thats a good idea, to use the bootloader to program some data (serial number) into the EEPROM. This might be quiet interesting for me, but it is still not completely satisfying cause I need to tell the bootloader which number to write in each device... So I still have to make this decision somehow by myself; but the idea is already better than coding something in HW. I'll think about it, maybe I can adapt it to my prject.

thanks and regards,
Johannes
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Johannes,

No there is nothing "hard coded" into the device that is in anyway unique.
You would have to do it yourself, perhaps using something like P&E's Serialise programme.

0 Kudos