What's the best way to program LPC11U68 in production?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best way to program LPC11U68 in production?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by David Perry on Fri Feb 27 07:06:12 MST 2015
I'm designing a board for that uses LPC11U68. I think it can be programmed though the 10 pin Cortex debug connector, UART, or USB. 

I'd rather not install the 10 pin connector on every board if possible, since it'll have USB anyway. Same goes for the UART, I wasn't planning to include an RS232 driver. I'd like to use USB, but I've not been able to get it working. Is there a utility I can use?  Commercial solution?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by David Perry on Fri Feb 27 21:01:32 MST 2015
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Dave
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nerd herd on Fri Feb 27 08:31:43 MST 2015
Hi David Perry,

The LPC11U68 has two Serial Debug Wire (SWD) pins which can be used for debugging and programming (adding in power and ground pins makes it a total of four like R2D2 mentioned). This is the preferred implementation that NXP recommends.

To answer your question about programming it through USB, you need to make sure you have access to two specific pins (three if you want to count the reset pin which will be convenient):

- PIO0_1 to enter In-Systems Programming mode
- PIO0_3 to perform USB enumeration while in ISP mode

The way it works is that if the ISP pin (PIO0_1) is low while a reset is asserted (or power cycle), the MCU will enter ISP mode. If PIO0_3 is high, then the MCU will also enumerate itself as a mass storage device when connected to a computer. From here, you can simply drag and drop your hex file you generated from your program and then reset or power cycling the MCU without entering ISP mode and it will execute the hex file as a program. For more information please read Chapter 27 of the User's Manual and our application note discussing this:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/UM10732.pdf

http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/an11305-usb-system-programming-lpc11u3xlpc11u2x
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by R2D2 on Fri Feb 27 07:36:30 MST 2015

Quote: David Perry
I'd rather not install the 10 pin connector on every board if possible...

Then use a reduced 4pin SWD version...

0 Kudos