cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial flash as Mass storage

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jeffbelz on Wed Dec 04 18:12:54 MST 2013
We are in the mists of a design and the question came up. "Can we put a FAT system on a serial flash"  What we want to do is connect our device via USB to a PC and use the serial flash as a drive.

I've done this with SPI microSD cards, but never with a SPI flash.  Is this even possible and if so is there an app note to get started.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by embd02161991 on Wed Jan 29 17:27:37 MST 2014
Hi Duraimurugan,

Yes, you need to erase a sector everytime before writing a page.
No , we cannot program multiple times i.e. over writing of bytes is not possible.

Thanks,
SK
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Dore on Thu Dec 12 10:05:01 MST 2013
I am using the Internal Flash of LPC1114FHI33/302 for my data storage (eg., configuration parameters) around 40 bytes.
Whenever I would like to update the configuration, I am erasing the sector (page erase is not supported in LPC1114FHI33/302) and writing as page.
Do i need to erase the sector everytime before writing the page/data? Is it possible to erase one time and program multiple time (overwritting of the existing bytes) ?

Regards,
Duraimurugan
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wmues on Thu Dec 05 03:11:12 MST 2013
You can NOT put a FAT file system on an serial flash.

There is a lack of wear leveling and erase managment.

You may use an eMMC chip.

regards
Wolfgang
0 Kudos