lpcware

Help me choose: SSP or SGPIO

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mark03 on Mon Oct 22 17:54:28 MST 2012
I'm interfacing a serial A/D (LTC237x series) to an LPC4357, and trying to decide the optimal solution for having the data transfer "in the background" as much as possible.  Ideally I would like the data to fill a DMA buffer in RAM without spending any CPU cycles until the buffer needs emptying.

I will drive the A/D conversion clock with a GPIO timer/counter output.  The A/D indicates it is done by the falling edge of a BUSY signal, and requires the host to provide SCLK and read the bits back.  Based on my reading of the LPC user's guide, if I use SSP the only way I can perform a read is to write dummy words.  The SSP has a nice FIFO, which would probably suffice in place of a DMA buffer, IF I could have that FIFO filling autonomously, but it's not clear to me that this is possible.  I can't just load up the transmit FIFO, then sit back and wait, because the SSP must only transmit/receive a frame when an A/D sample is ready.  I don't see any way to achieve this without CPU involvement (interrupt based).

Not really liking that prospect, I was looking at SGPIO.  There's no sample FIFO there (only the bit FIFOs for deserialization), so I would want to use DMA.  The user's guide says this is possible, but has anyone actually tried it [successfully]?  I'd feel a lot better with a working example to look at.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Outcomes