cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice. Upgrading to LPC4300.

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by David Lee on Tue May 13 07:44:05 MST 2014
I've spent a few years designing products with the LPC2100 series.

Now I have the need. The need for speed.

Especially, the nice DSP extensions of the Cortex M4F.

Please recommend which eval board I should get. I don't care a bit about LCD displays.
This will be a signal processing project.

This is also a plea for advice on programming tools and the development environment.

I am very happy working with Eclipse + GCC + GDB + OpenOCD + ARM_USB_OCD JTAG programmer. This is rock solid.
I use it all day. Every day. It just works. (It works until it no longer works, of course, then I just download the latest GCC from ARM :)

So, can just stay in my happy place, get any old LPC4300 board and program it with my current setup?
I really, really, really don't want to download and learn a new IDE.

Sure, I'll need the latest GCC (from ARM) and the CMSIS libs, and the latest OpenOCD versions. (Especially startup.asm and a linker script!)
But is this path doomed?

I'm not demanding simultaneous debugging of both cores. But that will come in time right?

Thank you! I am grateful to hear your experience. This will help me get started on the right foot.

Cheers,
David
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by nmz787 on Sat Jun 14 00:17:09 MST 2014
LPC Link V2 seems like it can't be beat... I'm new to ARM in general, moving into this from dabbling in Arduino, MSP430, and the Parallax Propeller. The 80MSPS ADC is what had me. There's nothing like it out there. The code is pretty rough, but I can see you found the HSADC thread already, and my comments of things about the LabTool code too there. I learned that the LabTool doesn't stream though :/  And I couldn't find any code with USB running on a separate core. I haven't had much time to work with it, but about a month ago I spent a week or so on learning how to set up interrupts... it is a LOT to take it, pretty slow going for me.

Picking up a LabTool for a reference schematic is pretty nice too... their desktop software is open too, so it /is/ a pretty decent demo overall I think. But still, not totally straight forward and simple at all. Though I guess you're used to the LPC line already.

libopencm3-examples
Add LPC43xx LPCLinkII Example
https://github.com/libopencm3/libopencm3-examples/pull/59/files

libopencm3
https://github.com/libopencm3/libopencm3

After getting a bit confused by different comments and the manual, I did a sort of mental diff with libopencm3, the labtool code, the hackrf code, and the lpcopen examples.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Pacman on Fri Jun 13 13:34:17 MST 2014
For a long time, I've used a gcc toolchain, which is similar to Yagarto, but you should really use the official Linaro toolchain as you're probably already using.
I'm using the latest OpenOCD (0.9.0) from the git repositories.
For board, I soldered a LPC43xx (4310, 4330, 4337) onto a cheap adapter PCB, plugged it into two breadboards, added capacitors and other spices, and I have my preferred evaluation board (I'm using a 12MHz crystal).
You can keep your OCD-H; I've used TINY-H and OCD-H, but prefer JTAG-Lock-pick Tiny 2, since it has built-in SWD support; it's built by one of the OpenOCD developers and finally it's cheaper than the TINY-H.
It all works well for me.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by David Lee on Sun May 18 08:14:14 MST 2014
Thanks!

My 2 LPC Links arrived from Mouser and I'll crank them up this week.

David
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rocketdawg on Thu May 15 12:41:48 MST 2014
I would suggest two LPC Link2

one as programmer and the other as a triple core M4/M0/M0 dev platform.
that should be fast enough for you
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by GTA on Thu May 15 08:10:31 MST 2014

Quote: hlsa
I also have the eval board from embedded artists. It provides some more extras and a lot of complexity.  :~ In the past they had some problems with the SDRAM speed. But an application note about solving this problem is available and I assume they do have a new revision in the meantime.

Indeed, that is fixed since quite long in a new HW revision.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hlsa on Tue May 13 22:48:10 MST 2014
Hello David,

as long as you do not have any special requirements concerning the eval board, I would suggest the KEIL MCB4357. It does not have that much peripherals. But all major extras are available (SDRAM, Ethernet, RS232, ...). Many pins of the MCU are available via standard connectors.

I also have the eval board from embedded artists. It provides some more extras and a lot of complexity.  :~ In the past they had some problems with the SDRAM speed. But an application note about solving this problem is available and I assume they do have a new revision in the meantime.

Concerning development tools I use GCC together with the iSystem IC5000 debugger. They do have an Eclipse PlugIn. However, I have never tested it, since I am using their native IDE.

Good Luck,
Holger
0 Kudos