Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does TDM supported in LPC4357 ?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by kiyoong on Fri Jul 17 01:50:59 MST 2015
HI LPC,

It is a nice HOT weather day ! Isn't it ?

let me ask a question.
Does TDM supported in LPC4357 ?

Actually, I ordered 4 units of OM13040 which LPC4357 implemented and I am reviewing the connection of 8 channel audio input to LPC4357.
But there is no TDM interface.

Am I missing something ? or another solution for TDM you have ?
I am a newbie to NXP chip-set, so please help me.

If there is another MCU that supports TDM interface, please recommend it to me.

thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Andy Kim on Mon Aug 24 16:57:23 MST 2015
Hi bavarian,

I'm a colleague of kiyoong. We're going to use TDM. Now that LPC4357 supports multiple I2S through SGPIO, we'd like to use them.

Basically, we'd like to connect both Cirrus CS5368(4 stereo ADC) and CS4386(4 stereo DAC). Both have 2 clock pins and 4 data pins.

Can we connect those 2 chips to LPC4357 through built-in two I2S and SGPIO because some SGPIO seems to share with other function pins?

What would we do if we have to support 8 stereo ADC and 8 stereo DAC by connecting to LPC? Would you let me know how many I2S ports single LPC can support?

Sincerely,

Andy Kim
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by kiyoong on Tue Jul 21 17:30:51 MST 2015
Thank you NXP team.

It seems like LPC4357 supports TDM through SGPIO setting, but the configuration of SGPIO would not be simple.
Studying previous case of using SGPIO as I2s first, and then I could make the TDM driver, connection, configurations.

I see, I will try it and get back to you later.

thank you.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bavarian on Mon Jul 20 08:46:54 MST 2015
What you can do for 4 stereo audio channel:
[list]
  [*]  Use the two existing hardware I2S interfaces
  [*]  Use SGPIO to emulate another two I2S interfaces
  [*]  or any combination of it (depending if it both in/out, if they share the clock etc you can do less or more with the SGPIO block).
[/list]

What we did one time some years ago: stereo input to LPC4350 via USB and Dolby 7.1 output to 8 loudspeakers

You can find a demo example of a 4-channel stereo output here

https://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/lpc4350apdlzip

in the audio example for I2S in this folder location:  \lpc43xx\Examples\I2S\I2s_Audio

The SGPIO interface would be able to do a TDM interface as well. You need a bandwidth of 1.536MHz for a 48kHz stereo channel (32 bits data with 48kHz), for 4 stereo channels you need to put 4 x 32 bits data into one 48kHz frame. That's easy to do using the I2S example as starting point, just by upscaling the bit frequency from 1.536MHz to 6.144MHz and by changing the bit counter for the 48kHz frame signal accordingly.

Regards,
NXP Support Team
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by kiyoong on Sun Jul 19 19:18:39 MST 2015
IF possible, would someone be more specific ?
HOW could control SGPIO and make a connection of TDM, Please ?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Sun Jul 19 06:13:19 MST 2015
Take a look at SGPIO.

You can chain up to 8 32-bit shift registers, so 8-channel TDM could be possible (caveat: I have no experience with TDM, just looked it up quickly).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wmues on Sun Jul 19 02:59:08 MST 2015
You can do audio I/O with I2S or with SSP. But you will only get 2 channels, not 8.

0 Kudos