which JTAG tool to programm external flash?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which JTAG tool to programm external flash?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dima2611 on Sat Feb 25 18:23:37 MST 2012
Hi all,

it seems to be the big mystery how to put a programm into the external flash connected to the LPC43xx's own External Memory Controller. I remember reading somewhere that some JTAG tool could hook the EMC for this task.

Or can the boot loader in ROM do this? It would be a nightmare to boot from UART or look for possibiliyies to programm the external SPI flash chip.

/Dima
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by PhilYoung on Sun Mar 25 05:10:37 MST 2012
If you are having trouble with debugger connection after programming the internal flash it's likely that the image you programmed is simply crashing the device. Once this happens the debugger can get locked out, particularly if it crashes the CPU into a tight infinte loop.

try selecting a different boot option so that it doesn't execute your code at bootup and see if the debugger can connect then.

I've seen this on several LPC devices.

regards

Phil.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by PhilYoung on Sun Mar 25 05:07:22 MST 2012
I have programmed the oroginal silicon using the Keil tools and uLink2 /uLink-pro, haven't tried the new silicon yet but going to modify the code for that today.
The device is programmed in the same way as any other LPC device by downloading a programmer into internal RAM using the Keil flash programmer framework.
On the original device I used a programmer supplied by NXP and a script which the debugger executed to set up the EMC for flash programming, but now that the device is finalized I'm planning to modify the programmer to set up the EMC itself.

This should be quite easy to do since I already have the EMC setup code in the app so I can re-use it, the only part requiring any real thought should be just going through the manufacturers device datasheet to set up the table for the particular flash I'm using.

once this is done ti's no different to the mechanism used for programming the internal flash on existing LPC devices, just tell the tool which programmer to download that suits your flash device.

you can find the template programmer in C:\Keil\ARM\Flash\_Template, just add code to set up the EMC and customize the flash table to suit, then build it as position independant code and select a suitable internal ram area to load it to in the flash tools dialog.

regards

Phil.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dima2611 on Mon Mar 05 11:52:47 MST 2012
I use LPCXpresso 4.2. And I have a Red Probe Plus. And an original J-Link from IAR (bought used on ebay). I could program an external flash, but now I have troubles with debugger connection... Suddenly. Never had experienced such troubles with a tool chain.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Mon Mar 05 11:33:20 MST 2012
If you are using the Hitex board and download the PDL for the LPC4350 from this site, you can use Keil to program the external Flash, both the quad-SPI flash (SPIFI) and the full external flash.  Can you provide a bit more information about the toolchain you are using, etc.?
0 Kudos