lpcware

LPC4330 QSPI devices and drivers

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fweller on Thu Feb 25 14:39:17 MST 2016
We want to boot the CPU using a 32Mbit QSPI NOR Flash device.
In North America, Micron and Cypress(Spansion) are the easiest suppliers to source.
We want to design in both of these devices (second sourced):
Micron N25Q032A13
Cypress S25FL132K

Issues:
1. In NXP document UM10503 (user manual for LPC4330) Section 5.3.4.4.1 “Supported QSPI devices”, Table 25, there is a list of devices that were supported as of the writing of that document.  These devices are no longer the recommended families to design with (example, Spansion S25FL032P1F is NRND) .  The devices that Nate should be using are not mentioned in this list.
2. In looking through the LPCOpen 2.2 sample projects I did find the 'lib_lpcspifilib' project which appears to be the NXP SPIFI library exposed through 'spifilib_api.h'.  This library includes some pre-compiled library files but little as far as source.
3. There is an 'lpcspifilib' project which looks to be a sample project that contains what I was looking for.  However, it appears the library mentioned above only supports SpansionS25FLP, SpansionS25FL1 and MacronixMX25L (see spifilib_dev.h).  As generic interfaces to request / verify the part and setup through a command interface, maybe this is ok as the sample does show how to setup the interface modes / clocks and perform a basic test before entering back to memory (code retrieval) mode.  I guess to prove this out I'd would need to hack in another qspi onto the board, port the debug init script and see if it actually works.

Questions:
1. Is there an updated list of supported QSPI devices? (Issue #3 above shows Spansion S25FL1 support in the driver but is not listed in the document from issue #1)
2. Have the drivers mentioned above been updated recently to support more QSPI devices?
3. Where could a customer get source code instead of pre-compiled drivers so that the customer may write their own driers?
4. What would NXP recommend the customer do in this situation.

Outcomes