Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP protection for Flashless parts...

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by blueo on Thu Feb 12 12:10:58 MST 2015
Hi All,

I need to use one of the flash-less products.

What scheme do you recommend to achieve some kind of code protection to prevent illegal production of your design?
There must be a way to achieve it otherwise why would NXP produce them?

NXP people ,please share your thoughts.

regards
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmilne on Wed May 27 07:22:36 MST 2015
The flash-less parts cannot be made secure - period.  I developed a security by obfuscation technique for the non-S part bootloader which uses symmetric block crypto in firmware but that won't stop a skilled hacker with incentive and modest amounts of effort. 

We've made the switch to the S part recently.  You will want the off line encryption tool too which requires signing the export control agreement with NXP.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Tue Feb 24 02:57:20 MST 2015
http://www.nxp.com/news/press-releases/2015/02/new-nxp-microcontrollers-deter-security-threats-to-ap...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Thu Feb 19 02:27:11 MST 2015

Quote: blueo
I can't find the secure LPC43S series.Where to get them? There isn't even a page on NXP website about them.
Is there any restriction on their purchase? Are they considerably more expensive?

https://octopart.com/search?q=lpc43s

It seems Newark/Farnell/element14 got two trays of LPC43S50. Judging from the stock numbers you could be the first to buy one of them.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by blueo on Wed Feb 18 22:24:37 MST 2015

rocketdawg: The reason is I need just a little bit >136KB of SRAM and only the flash-less series have that amount of SRAM.

repeating:
I can't find the secure LPC43S series.Where to get them? There isn't even a page on NXP website about them.
Is there any restriction on their purchase? Are they considerably more expensive?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rocketdawg on Tue Feb 17 11:53:56 MST 2015
The flash protection mechanism is really a JTAG disable mechanism.
one can disable JTAG so that a flash part cannot be read or written.
this can be done on a part with no flash.
But an external SPIFI part can always be removed from a production device and the contents read.

so, may I ask why you do not want to use a flash based part.  only the LPC-4370 has no pin for pin comparable flash part.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by blueo on Fri Feb 13 12:48:43 MST 2015
Thanks for your reply Mike,

I've read about them already:
from UM "AES keys and AES functions are supported for
parts LPC43Sxx only."

But LPC43s pars are nowhere to be found.Are they still under development? why so little info?

and What would be a decent mechanism of protection for the available fashless MCU's like LPC4330?
It would easy with OTP and AES enabled parts but for the those without them, I am puzzled.

Why producing MCU's with virtually zero security anyways?

regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Thu Feb 12 12:35:44 MST 2015
Check out the parts with built in AES encryption.

Mike
0 Kudos