AnsweredAssumed Answered

Watchdog

Question asked by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 by Carlos_Mendoza
Content originally posted in LPCWare by PhilYoung on Wed Sep 05 08:34:39 MST 2012
I have a boot loader that manages images, updates images over a network, and runs the most up to date image after validation, on entry it sets the watchdog and if the app if valid restores the device to reset state and enters the app.
When the app is executed it run fine so long as it calls the watchdog reset function periodically.

To test re-entry to the boot loader I disabled the watchdog reset code in the app, now when the watchdog expires the boot loader does not execute.

The device is reset by a wdog timeout, but presumably the embedded rom loader is called again to remap the shadow area, init the emc, and enter the boot loader as though a normal system reset had occured.

It's not clear from the documentation if the rom loader takes different action after a wdog reset, or if it can even detect that it occurred.

I'm after any suggestions as to why a program that boots and runs normally will not restart normally when a wdog reset occurs.

Outcomes