cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART3 boot: no reply from '1830 after sending image

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Grant.Edwards on Wed Jul 24 14:39:39 MST 2013
I've been successful placing the processor into UART3 boot mode.

I send '?' and receive 'OK\r\n'.  So far, so good.

After I send the header+image, I never get any sort of response (it's supposed to reply 'OK\r\n' or 'FAILED\r\n').  The most likely thing I can think of is that I'm not constructing the header correctly, but I can't see anything wrong.  I pad the image tself out to a 512 byte boundary, and then send a header that looks like this:

da ff 0d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff

Byte 0 (da) means AES inactive, no hash.

Byte 1 is reserved and unused hash-adjust bits.  Reserved bits are all 1's, I've tried all 1's and all 0's for unused hash-adjust bits.

Bytes 2-3 (0d 00) are the image size (in 512-byte blocks) -- 13 in this case.  I've tried both little-endian and big-endian format for this field.

Bytes 4-11 are the hash value (not used).  I've tried all 1's and all 0's.

Bytes 12-15 are reserved and must be all 1's.

Then I send the image itslef which comprises 13 blocks of 512 bytes each.

Then I expect a response of 'OK\r\n' or 'FAILED\r\n', but I get nothing.

I've concluded that the user manual description of either the hader or the UART boot protocol is wrong (no big surprise, I found dozens of errors in the manual).

Where can I find accurate information about the UART boot protocol and the binary header format?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Grant.Edwards on Thu Jul 25 08:03:59 MST 2013
It turns out that my downloaded program _was_ starting.  Contrary to what is stated in the LPC1800 user manual you do _not_ get an 'OK\r\n' or 'FAILED\r\n' response from the boot ROM code after you send the image.  If the image is OK, it runs.  If it's not, then nothing happens.

If only I could get back all the hours I've wasted in the past year due to errors in the LPC1800 user manaul, I could go on vacation for all of August...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Alaric on Thu Jul 25 04:20:00 MST 2013
Hi,
Try this link below:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/project/dfu-download-programming-utility-and-security-lpcdfusec-tool/...

I think you can use the tool to generate a image with the necessary header.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos