Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC4357 dev kit - Element14 - virtual COM port not working

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ancuk on Wed Apr 23 08:46:20 MST 2014
Hi All,

Total newbie to this device and have stumbled already in the changing room - let alone the first hurdle..... Can anyone please help?

Have the LPC4357 dev kit, a USB cable, and a ULINK2 device. I wanted to try some of the demo examples and get a feel.  Final aim is to re-write lots of legacy Freescale MC68300 code to this device.

Am running, WinXP, Keil 4.74 uVision, and have downloaded code, drivers and examples from Element14. Plugging board into a USB port on laptop prompts for driver-install, as expected. INF file provided did not work ('device driver not found') - the lpc18xx-vcom.inf contained a link to an 'unknown' device

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=LPC18xxUSB, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_2002/ABCD
-->
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=LPC18xxUSB, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_000C

I changed this line, device driver then loaded .... but still a problem, as get a 'CODE 10' - device cannot start.

Anyone got any good ideas? I have tried several laptops - same problem.

Cheers,
Manny
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by martincollett on Sat Oct 18 03:33:23 MST 2014
Thanks - the driver Wouter posted fixed the problem for me!
Regards, Martin
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Wouter on Thu Apr 24 09:02:00 MST 2014
Hi Manny,

The VID/PID are set by software. If your VID/PID differs from the driver, my best guess would be you're using another/older version of the CDC example. The one I'm referring to is example2 of this link: http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-62632/l/element14-software-examples-and-demos-for-the-lp...

The example is using a pre-compiled CDC library, the the source-code for the library is also available. You can open the CDC-lib project by opening this Keil workspace:
.\LPC4357-EVB\Drivers\lib_project\Usb_Cdc\Keil\Usb_Cdc.uvproj
You can see in file usbdesc.c the VID/PID are set:
  WBVAL(0x1FC9),                     /* idVendor */
  WBVAL(0x2002),                     /* idProduct */

Regards,
Wouter
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ancuk on Thu Apr 24 07:58:34 MST 2014
Great, Wouter,

That's fantastic news - will use this later today and report back. Many thanks, for now.
Cheers,
Manny

OK - just tried the modified inf file ....... but still getting a CODE 10 error.

I had mistakenly written down wrong info with respect to the [DEVICE] line in the original inf file - not sure if this would've made a difference?

The original lpc18xx-vcom.inf file had the following line in it:

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=LPC18xxUSB, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_2002

.............but when the hardware was interrogated (using 'DEVICE MANAGER - RightCLICK on LPC18xx USB Vcom Port (COM10) - PROPERTIES / DETAILS tab.....)

then the harware comes back with:

USB\VID_1FC9&PID_000C\ABCD

Now, the new inf file you kindly attached (LPC43xx-vcom.inf), refers to this line as

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=LPC18xxUSB, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_2002

i.e. - the device name ending with '2002'.

I have changed this last line to read '000C', in accordance with what the hardware properties says, and it will then load the device driver.......but still not start the the device, with a CODE 10 error, as mentioned.

I have even tried modifying your new inf files to end with     '...000C\ABCD', in case the 'ABCD' has aneffect...but no joy.

In my opinion, my hardware (bought from Element14) may have an 'old' hardware name of '000c', which all the current *.inf files won't affiliate to.

Do you think I should return the hardware and get new development card?
I would be interested to see what happens to anyone else, when they 'right-click' and look at the PROPERTIES/DETAIL tab with their device!

Can you please try?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Manny
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Wouter on Wed Apr 23 14:00:23 MST 2014
Hi Manny,

That's a bit of a tough start indeed!

But, I've got good news for you:There seems to be an issue with the supplied driver, I've attached an updated driver which resolved the issue at my Windows 7 PC, I hope it works for you too.
I've contacted the owner of the E14 site with the request to update the example package with this new driver.

Please let me know if you keep experiencing problems.

Regards,
Wouter
0 Kudos