Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FTDI chip necessary to use USB Lib?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hjiongh on Wed Aug 14 00:09:52 MST 2013
Hello,

I'm newer. I'm studying NXP USB Lib v1.03.
My question is : Is FTDI chip necessary when i use USB port? It seems use for USB convert to UART.

I don't know, so hope help.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Vincent
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bavarian on Tue Oct 01 06:47:14 MST 2013
You're right, the question was not clear. But it still isn't  :(

Let's look at the use cases of an FTDI chip (and let's assume you mean the RS232-to-USB converter chip).

1. You convert a UART stream from the LPC18xx into a USB stream --> no USBLib required at all
2. You convert a USB stream from the LPC18xx into a UART stream --> USBLib required in USB host configuration
3. You connect a USB host from the LPC18xx to a USB device --> USBLib required in USB host configuration.
   Maybe this is what you mean: you have a printer with USB port and want to connect an LPC18xx to it.
   For the LPC18xx USDB host it doesn't matter if this USB device port is from an FTDI chip or another microcontroller, it's just a USB device.

General rule: if you use a USB from the LPC18xx then you need a USB software --> USBLib

Regards,
NXP Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hjiongh on Wed Sep 25 20:19:11 MST 2013
Hello sir,

Thanks for your information.

Maybe my question is not clearly, it's my fault.

If the board want to link to a print with USB port(this print use FTDI chip to USB), maybe my board has to add a FTDI chip? Is it possible to use USBLib v1.03 directly?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Vincent
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bavarian on Tue Sep 24 07:14:11 MST 2013
Hello Vincent,

lot of posts, but no real answer ;-)

If there is an FTDI chip on a microcontroller board then it's there to convert a UART from the microcontroller into a Virtual Serial port for the PC.
Since the newer computers do not have a true serial port anymore, this is a quite convenient way to provide UART output from an MCU to a PC.

If you use the LPC1830 with USB Lib then you don't need any FTDI chip, you directly connect the LPC1830 board to a PC with a USB cable and run the software you like, e.g. mass storage or HID, or ...

Regards,
NXP Support.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by shiggy on Wed Sep 11 16:50:50 MST 2013
Hi
FTDI chip is very easy to use for the App.
(FTDI chip has a function of USB2.0 High-seed)
But the LPC1830 covers the all function of FTDI(USB2.0 High-seed).
If you use the LPC18xx, LPC1830 give you very good performance.
Shiggy
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by embd02161991 on Thu Aug 15 16:22:06 MST 2013
Hi,

Yes a FTDI chip is necessary if you want to connect serial to USB or vice-versa. If you are interested in FTDI products , please visit [u]http://www.ftdichip.com[/u] for more information.

Thanks,
SK
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hjiongh on Wed Aug 14 01:16:48 MST 2013
So if i use USB convert to Serial Interface, FTDI is necessary?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Wed Aug 14 00:43:41 MST 2013
No. You can connect directly to USB.
0 Kudos