Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enet Mac address

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by terrype on Fri Aug 15 23:05:09 MST 2014
Dear Members,  do the LPC1769 has unique Enet - Mac address? or we need to apply for one

terry
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by terrype on Sun Aug 17 16:16:50 MST 2014
Thanks Mike, 
" Old programmers never die. They go into infinite recursion." I love the wording

terry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Sat Aug 16 09:20:25 MST 2014
No chip will ever have a pre-programmed MAC address; YOU have to asign one.
[Possibly some development or evaluation boards MAY have a unique MAC address but I think it unlikely.
You would have to see the documentation.]

You cannot 'apply' for a unique MAC address, you have to BUY one. This is expensive because you cannot just buy one!
you have to pay for a manufactures ID (OUID) or a block of 4096 MAC addresses and this is expensive.
See http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
[Currently, about US Dollars 1600 or 550 respectively.]

However, you can buy eeproms from Maxim or MicroChip that have a single MAC address pre-programmed in.
However, you would then have to include that chip on your board design and read the MAC address at startup etc.
This adds a few cents to  the normal cost of the eeprom. Note there is no sticker or suchlike, you have to read the
chip electronically. I am not going to go in to that here.

If you just want to mess about with some board, such as the Embedded Arrists 1769 board,  I would suggest the following
strategy.

Get hold of a network adapter (or buy the cheapest one you can find). Do not put it in any PC etc.
Use the MAC address from the adapter -- It is unique and because the board is not in use (i.e. laying on a shelf etc.)
will not conflict with such usage in a demo board.

Cheers, Mike.

PS: there are also locally administered MAC addresses (certain bits in the MAC addr indicate this -- google it!) and you would be responsible for ensuring uniqueness in your own environment. These MUST NOT be connected outside your private LAN.
I.e CANNOT be connected to the internet.
0 Kudos