lpcware

LPC1778 CAN Block Registers

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Sat Oct 25 16:49:34 MST 2014
The same CAN block may be used in other MCUs but my board is using the LPC1778.
I am referring to UM10470 Rev 3 12th March 2014.

The 'bus error' bits (16..23) in the 'Interrupt and Capture' register (for each implemented CAN block)
appear to be 'stickey'.

Once a bus error has occured, subsequent valid transmissions(s) or reception(s) do not appear to
'reset' these bits. They only change (but never zero) if another bus error is observed. [Or a chip reset is given.]

From the UM 20.7.4 p572

Quote:
The clearing of bits 1 to 10 and the releasing of bits 16-23 and 24-31 all occur on any read
from CANxICR, regardless of whether part or all of the register is read. This means that
software should always read CANxICR as a word, and process and deal with all bits of the
register as appropriate for the application.

How may I reset (clear) these bits in this read-only register programatically (i.e. via code)?
I have tried reading the register (bits 1..10 are documented as clearing on read) before, during, and after
placing the block in and then out of 'reset mode' [via the CAN Mode register] but to no avail.

On a, possibly, similar note, the 'transmission complete' bit [bit 3] in the CAN Global Status register
remains clear (unset) [after a failed transmission] even after an 'Abort' command is given [via the
CAN Command register]. It only becomes set again after a successful transmission [or chip reset].

Again, how can I cause this bit to be set (i.e. error to be cleared) via code.

Regards, Mike.

Outcomes