Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1788 and WiFi

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Dave on Wed Jun 26 21:13:22 MST 2013

I know this really isn't the forum for WiFi, but I figured I'd put this question out there for any of you experts in wireless communications.

I'm considering adding WiFi to my controller, and I'm not too sure where to start.

Some companies sell modules that have the TCP/IP stack embedded in their chip; some don't.

Since I am using the 1788, I have access to both a host and device USB port, so I could maybe go that route.

What have you guys done here?  Most importantly, what's going to work well, and not cost an arm, a leg, a rib, etc...

Any directions and advice would sure help.

Thanks in advance for all the posts guys!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Vladimir Khusainov on Tue Jul 09 12:44:07 MST 2013

Take a look at the application note below. It explains how to use a USB WiFi module with LPC1788 under uClinux:

http://www.emcraft.com/ea-lpc1788/usb-wifi-with-lpc1788

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Mon Jul 01 22:56:14 MST 2013

We are using this module:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Logitec-%E7%84%A1%E7%B7%9ALAN%E3%82%A2%E3%83%80%E3%83%97%E3%82%BF-150Mbps-%E...

Since we are located in Japan, we can get them directly from Logitec. However, my guess is there are many USB/Wifi adapters using the same hardware. Its a Ralink chipset which works with the rt2800usb driver.

If you do get this thing working on bare-metal, I would be glad to have some insight. I didn't even dare to try that approach since there seems to be a lot of infrastructure provided by the OS on which this driver relies.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Dave on Mon Jul 01 08:44:55 MST 2013

Since it's just software, my guess is ucLinux isn't necessary.  I'm not running an "off-the-shelf" or open-source operating system.  Mine's hand-rolled sushi from bare-metal up...

$8 looks real attractive though.  This is the path I figured I'd have to go anyway... - what module are you using?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Mon Jul 01 00:14:40 MST 2013

If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider doing it over USB host. My company is buying USB/Wifi modules in bulk at around USD $8. The downside is you pretty much have to use ucLinux, which the LPC1788 is not exactly optimal for, and boot times including WiFi driver setup could easily climb up to 1 minute.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wella-tabor on Thu Jun 27 23:20:53 MST 2013

Hi,

I have not. I have tried to find a module without the TCP/IP stack and supporting RMII (configuration also over RMII). I like this interface because, simply said, it has something with the Ethernet :). It is only my personal preference.

It seems that, as an end customer, it is almost impossible to find a combination Wifi module + RMII + no TCP/IP stack.

Martin

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Dave on Thu Jun 27 09:48:55 MST 2013

Thanks Martin!  I'm reading up on this module. 

Have you evaluated any other modules?  I found the Texas Instruments module CC3000MOD and it looked pretty good also ( http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/swru326/swru326.pdf ).

The interface bus for these modules looks like SPI, SERIAL, and RMII - the Texas Instrument device is only SPI I believe.

The LPC1788 supports the RMII interface, though - any advantage to using this bus?

Anyway I look at it, I'm going to have to add a couple of pin-headers to my board to support a stackable add-on module.

Thanks again for the rapid response!

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wella-tabor on Thu Jun 27 02:17:28 MST 2013
Hi,

I am using socket nano wifi (google helps) (~60 Euro). It offers RMII what is quite good for me because I am supporting LAN xor WLAN.

Martin

0 Kudos