lpcware

Using STLINK or TI ICDI to debug/program LPC1700 MCU

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by izico on Fri Sep 13 17:18:21 MST 2013
Hi, I dislike the proprietary tools from Code Red, but I love the price of NXP LPC very much, I don't understand why NXP buy this company and game over their old strategy to support simultaneously the 3 main stream development tools - Keil/IAR/GCC, which is my preferred solution because it gives us more choices, and we can figure out to use other free tools with the examples of these 3 very different main stream development tools.

Preferably I love to use a free and open source tool to develop, I used gcc/openocd/eclipse successfully for both STM32 and TI Stellaris in the past.

ST has the ST-LINK JTAG/SWD probe on their cheap demo board, and TI has the ICDI on their cheap demo board, and I used these on board JTAG/SWD probe to debug/program my own custom board.

But I've not been successful to use ST-LINK with my LPC1769 LPCXpresso board yet.

In order to find the problem/solution, I tried using Keil ARM-MDK, I've succeeded to debug the LPC1769 with the STLINK by now, but unable to program the flash yet, I feel it may not be able to do it after my further study and trial.

Anybody have ever succeeded to debug/program the LPC17xx with either ST-LINK or TI ICDI using any development tools? If so I guess I can find a way to make the openocd to work too.

Don't suggest other working JTAG debuggers, I know this but I don't want to buy more debuggers; and don't suggest using the crt_emu_lpc11_13_nxp command line tool of Code Red too, I know how to communicate with this gdbserver too; I want a totally different and preferably open source free tool.

Outcomes